Ligurian Coppa cure ingredients

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Ligurian Coppa cure ingredients

Postby Ces » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:23 am

Hi guys,

Been away from the hobby for a few years now but starting to get back into it.

I want to start with some curing and my favourite to do is Coppa. Way, way back some of my ancestors lived in the Ligurian region of Italy, near the town of Asti. I've done some searches as to what the typical flavour profile of a Ligurian coppa would be but I'm having trouble finding specifics.

Anyone have an idea what spices/flavourings they typically use in this region? How salty the end product tends to be? Sugars in the cure?

I would appreciate any leads here guys.

Cheers,

Ces.
Ces
Registered Member

Re: Ligurian Coppa cure ingredients

Postby wheels » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:42 pm

This database has all the PGI registrations for Europe. I'm sure there will be one for a product from Liguria - have a play with it. It's not easy to use - if you have any problem just ask:

PGI Database

HTH
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Ligurian Coppa cure ingredients

Postby Snags » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:09 am

Ces wrote:Hi guys,

Been away from the hobby for a few years now but starting to get back into it.

I want to start with some curing and my favourite to do is Coppa. Way, way back some of my ancestors lived in the Ligurian region of Italy, near the town of Asti. I've done some searches as to what the typical flavour profile of a Ligurian coppa would be but I'm having trouble finding specifics.

Anyone have an idea what spices/flavourings they typically use in this region? How salty the end product tends to be? Sugars in the cure?

I would appreciate any leads here guys.

Cheers,

Ces.

It will be white pepper ,cloves,cinnamon then it could include fennel and or juniper.
Virtually all the ones Ive tried have all of the above but I dont know if its typical to Liguria or just to Coppa made in Australia by Italian immigrants
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques