Right Salami Texture?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby Twoscoops » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:32 pm

Wouldn't have thought so, but they will shrink when drying out.

I use acidophilous. i just buy it in capsules from a health food shop and rub the powder onto the salami.
Twoscoops
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:52 pm

The acidophilous would be for the mould outside some types of salami - right? The starter culture i'm referring to appears to be used both as a preservative, and also adding a particular taste to the salami.

Not having tried making salami yet - I talking out of my arse of course - but this is what I understand.

I'm going to select one of Len Poli's recieps for my first attempt.

If you have a tried and true (and easy) recipe for salami you'd like to share, i'm all ears!
aris
Site Admin

Postby Twoscoops » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:43 pm

No then, I don't use a starter culture. I'll try and copy the recipe over the next couple of days, it is very easy, that is why i tried it!
Twoscoops
Registered Member

Postby jasonmolinari » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:43 pm

I use Len Poli's recipes among others, and have made some very tasty salame. I've already posted a couple times how i maintain humidity and temperature, but i'll post it again.
I use an old fridge, which has an external temperature control which allows me to turn it up to about 50deg. F, inside the fridge i havea humidifier with a humidistat, and have it set to about 70% RH. The fridge cycling on to cool the air, also dries it, since it is a frost free fridge, the humnidifier then brings the air back to about 70.
My last 3 batches of salame have been fantastic. I do use a starter culture mostly for safety...i'd rather put the culture in there myself, than rely on nature happening along and dropping the right bacteria in there.

I've used 43mm collagen, whcih are my favorites, they make a nice small diameter salame like a cacciatorino, and i've used 60mm, which i think are ok. The flavor isn't as developed as the 43mm ones (probably didn't give them enough time), they take longer to cure, but they are easier for sandwiches... I think 38mm would work, they'll just be a little small..but use what you have for now.

Any questions..ask..although i don't check here often i get notifications..
.jason
jasonmolinari
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques