Skin On or Off ??

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Skin On or Off ??

Postby deb » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:20 pm

I have finally "bitten the bullet" and ordered some dry bacon cure from Franco. I'm eager to get started as soon as it arrives so thought I'd ask this question in anticipation of it's speedy arrival (please Franco!!). We like our bacon "rindless" so, should I remove the skin before or after curing?
Thanks.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Skin on or off

Postby Parson Snows » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:36 pm

deb wrote
We like our bacon "rindless" so, should I remove the skin before or after curing?

It's completely up to you though as you are going to remove the rind later I personally would remove it prior to curing. The reason for this is that very little cure will actually seep through the skin side. The same principle is at work as to why we don't soak up lots of water when it rains or go swimming.
Should you decide to keep the skin/rind on I would recommend that you weigh the meat and then SUBTRACT 10 % from this amount and then use this figure to calculate how much cure you need. The ten percent being the normal/averge weight of fat and skin on a pig. You will then rub most of the cure into the meat side, and crevices of the joint, and very little over the skin portion. Then continue as normal.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Helen » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:27 pm

I left the skin on on my first cure, what a pain the backside to take off!!!!!
if you can when you buy your belly/loin get the butcher to remove it that way you'll keep all your fingers intact!!!!
Helen
Helen
Registered Member

Postby deb » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:38 pm

Thanks guys, looks like it's skin off then.
I'm eagerly awaiting the post at the moment, my delivery should be here sometimetime this week (I hope). I can't wait to get the bacon started.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Sharp Knives

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:36 pm

Helen wrote
if you can when you buy your belly/loin get the butcher to remove it that way you'll keep all your fingers intact!!!!

If you're going to do it yourself make sure that the knife is sharp and keep your fingers out of the way. Using a blunt knife, and having to push harder, you are more likely to end up with cut fingers - as a minimum.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques