Gravmeat

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby Deer Man » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:14 pm

Erikht, tried your method today with a couple of exceptions. Only used 1-11/2 pounds of boneless saddle, No berries and I used black pepper corns because I like them! Also I used 4 capfulls of gin from the bottle, 1 on each piece of saddle .This did not seem like a lot, infact it hardly coverd the meat!

A few hors on and there is a lot of fluid maybe half an inch. Is this right and should I leave the meat in the fluid or drain it? It smell yummy!! :lol:
Safe Shooting, Good Hunting, Eat Well!
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Erikht » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:40 pm

This fluid is a brine, and should not be drained. Just remember to turn the meat twice a day. It will now take salt from the brine, and taste from the gin in the brine, and it will be just fine.

When it comes to time, I think you should think 3-4 days, because of the small size of the joint. Let's say 3 full days in the brine, pluss a few hours.

I'm really looking foreward to hear what you think of it. Remember, thin slices.

I see that I wrote 4-5 days in my last post. That is a bit much, unless you have a rather big piece of meat. Personally, I usually don't do this with pieces bigger than 1,3-1,5 kilos. Then it's better to do what you have done, and "downsize" :lol: .
Erikht
Global Moderator

Postby Deer Man » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:52 pm

Erikht, I am looking forward to trying it!! I will try to post a few pictures of the process and let you know how it turns out. :P
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Erikht » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:46 am

Not long now, Deer man. I'm excited to hear what you think about it.
Erikht
Global Moderator

Postby Deer Man » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:06 pm

Here is the finished product. Not sure what it should look like? You can taste the gin and it does taste a bit like cheese.

Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Erikht » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:20 pm

It looks perfect. What do you think about the taste?
Erikht
Global Moderator

recipes

Postby Franco » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:10 pm

Erikht and Deerman, I would like to use the recipe and photo in our database if that's ok?

I've now got Adobe Acrobat professional so I've been busy making the PDF recipe cards, does anyone have any recipes with photos? If so I'lll convert them and post them on the database.

Cheers

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Erikht » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:23 pm

Use the recipe as you see fit. I would like to add that with pieces of meat the size Deerman has used, even shorter time can be used in the brine(lets say 2-3 days). But I like mine a bit matured, and think Deerman's meat look fine.

He is the only one who knows what it tastes like, though.

This should give you some ideas on serving. The meat will dry quite fast, I think
Last edited by Erikht on Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erikht
Global Moderator

grav meat

Postby Franco » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:40 pm

I was expecting the gravmeat to look drier, can it be air dried after coming out of the cure? Is this ever done to it?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Deer Man » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:12 pm

Franco, please feel free to use the pic. Erikht does this look OK? It is storng and game rich. A little strong for me I think. I may try smoking it now?
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Erikht » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:24 pm

I think it look fine.If you smoke it, it might be best to hotsmoke it. It's probably not salt enough for long keeping, so coldsmoking seems out of the question.

If you hotsmoke it, what about treating it the way you would cold roast beef?

It will probably be drier after a night in the fridge.

If you want to do this again but would like a less strong taste, either use a bigger piece of meat, or leave it for a shorter periode of time. Pieces of meat the size in the picture could possibly do fine with 3 days, or even 2. That would give it a slightly less overwhelming flavour.
Erikht
Global Moderator

Postby Deer Man » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:27 am

Erikht, the cure itself was fine, i am not sure it wasn't because i hung the Roe for 10 days? Roe is a strong meat anyway, I prefer Muntjac. This is my favourite! I will hot smoke it and see what that is like. As you can see I Totaly boned the saddle.

Pastrami next when my order from Franco arrives!!
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Erikht » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:21 pm

I must admit that I have never tasted roe deer. They shoot it in the eastern part of the country, but here we only have red deer and reindeer. Muntjak is completely unknown to me. It's not indigionous to England, is it?
I might make som gravemeat myself in a while, possibly with beef. I will post here when that happens.
Erikht
Global Moderator

Postby TobyB » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:18 pm

Deer Man wrote:Erikht, the cure itself was fine, i am not sure it wasn't because i hung the Roe for 10 days?

10 days is quite a long time. Where did you hang it, what was the temperature and did you hang it skin on or off. I'm assuming you gralloched it immediately?

The roe I use has usually been hung for a max of six-eight days in a cold store ambient temp 2-4 degrees C (gralloched immediately on being shot).

I agree with you though that Muntjack is the best tasting deer although you need a few of them and I've not yet made sausage form muntjack!
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:53 pm

TobyB wrote:10 days is quite a long time. Where did you hang it, what was the temperature and did you hang it skin on or off. I'm assuming you gralloched it immediately?

The roe I use has usually been hung for a max of six-eight days in a cold store ambient temp 2-4 degrees C (gralloched immediately on being shot).

I agree with you though that Muntjack is the best tasting deer although you need a few of them and I've not yet made sausage form muntjack!

I hang my deer in my commercial fridge at 2-4C. !0 days is average when you consider beef can be hung for 2-3 weeks although supermarket beef is less than 5-7 days when you buy it!! :evil: My fridge has good air circulation which helps. Always store venison in the coat as there is very little body fat to stop weight loss through evaporation(SIKA and Fallow being the real exception) I gralloch all my deer on the spot where they drop.

Muntjac do make good eating, not as strong as other venison but normally very tender.

Try this recipe for beefburgers.

2 muntjac haunches (back legs)
2 muntjac saddles (rack and loin)
2-3LB fat belly pork
1 pack sage and onion stuffing others can be used Rosmery & tyme etc
good glug of oliveoil

Method: debone the haunches and saddles to leave good lean meat.
Mince coarsly pork and venison.
mix in stuffing with the mince
add good glug of olive oil and mix thoroughly
Make into balls and press into burgers.

I like good thick burgers at leat 1/4 LB

BBQ or fry, Seal quickly and cook slowly.

Enjoy! :twisted:
Deer Man
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Curing Techniques