Bacon curing (again)

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby Platypus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:58 pm

Lovely breakfast this morning, but as you said Oddley, it was a little on the salty side. Not enough to spoil the taste but I would definately like it with less.

So, if the offer still stands Oddley I'd love to know a better ratio, or some guidance on how to do the calcs etc.

aris - I know Franco's not that expensive, I get all my sausage stuff from him, including my cure #1. But if I can mix it myself I can (eventually) have a bit more control over the end result. Am I sounding like a control freak yet? :shock:

BTW This morning I made a batch of Chorizo using Franco's ready mix they are currently hanging in my new biltong box to activate the LS25. The whole garage smells of chorizo. Mmmmm...... 8)
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:01 pm

Platypus I have done this cure for you with about 2% salt. You can easily change this by doing some simple percent calculations. So if you use this cure and want more salt, use the cure as is, then put more salt in.

Example
You have a 2 kg piece of meat. Weigh up 62 gm cure. but you think you want it 1% more salty then 1% of 2 kg = 20 gm so just add 20 gm salt to the 62 gm cure. Bobs your uncle fanny's your aunt.

An example of all of the calculations for designing your own dry cure are
here.

As you can see in the cure below, I have added saltpetre. I have also added Sodium ascorbate. Nitrite in conjunction with sodium ascorbate will cause a reduction in the nitrite to undetectable levels within 20 days. therefore leaving your meat without protection. But you must add sodium ascorbate to stop Nitrosamine production. Read the link below. This link will also give you the formula for working out the ppm of a cure in meat.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... J0974.html

Bacon cure

Meat 10 kg

Sodium Ascorbate = 5 gm
Salt 2% = 184 gm
Sugar 1.02% = 102 gm
cure #1 = 17 gm (100 ppm)
Saltpetre = 2 gm (200 ppm)

Weight of Cure = 310 gm

Usage 31 gm per kg
Last edited by Oddley on Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:11 pm

Platypus wrote:BTW This morning I made a batch of Chorizo using Franco's ready mix they are currently hanging in my new biltong box to activate the LS25. The whole garage smells of chorizo. Mmmmm...... 8)

Nice one - what is the temperature & humidity in the box, and where will you be hanging it afterwards?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Platypus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:50 pm

Thanks Oddley,

That thread gives me a better understanding of the calcs involved and the link to the nitrites in meat paper looks useful, although I can't claim to have read it properly yet.

Is the 2% salt what you prefer? In the other thread you mention 3% is normally aimed for, still makes my 7% look well OTT.

Also, what is the purpose of adding Saltpetre in addition to cure #1? I thought that cure #1 was designed to replace the saltpetre.

Thanks again
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:00 pm

aris,

Temp 25C Humidity 65%

I had hoped to get the humidity up above 70% but even with a bowl of water in the box and large wick of cotton wool dipped into the bowl I still can't get it up :lol:

After the initial phase I was thinking of keeping them hanging in the biltong box but with the heat source turned off, maybe with the door open just a crack to help the airflow - garage temperature is quite stable at 12C at the moment.
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:03 pm

I think between 2 - 3% is Ok. I like a little salt taste my wife doesn't. So I really can't make up my mind. I made it for 2% so that you can add more salt if you like it saltier. I think this is around the formulation that Franco sells. Anyway try it and see.

Cure #1 is salt and sodium nitrite. Saltpetre is potassium nitrate. Potassium nitrate releases potassium nitrite over the course of time counteracting the addition of sodium ascorbate. Needed to stop the carcinogenic compound Nitrosamines. Also to replace the lost nitrite so as to protect your meat in cure.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:11 pm

Ah!

The penny drops (very slowly :) )
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:26 pm

Have you covered up the holes in the biltongbox to keep the humidity in?

What watt bulb are you using?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Platypus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:32 pm

I haven't drilled the holes yet, but with my carpentry skills you might be on to something :oops:

It is a 60W bulb
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:10 pm

Ah, ok so it is basically a closed box then. Mine has holes because I use it to dry biltong :-) I think I may try covering the box in a bin-bag or something to keep the humidity in.

Here is another chaps interesting maturation chamber:

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonmolinari/Salame.htm
aris
Site Admin

Postby Platypus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:24 pm

Yeah, this incarnation of the biltongbox was intended to do the salami first but eventually I hope to make it multi-purpose, Biltong sounds great but my list of things to try is very long :).

My plan is to put adjustable ventalation holes in, thermostat controlled heaters (I have ahem sourced some heater mats from work) and possibly line the interior with those cheap polystyrene tiles to make it a bit more temperature stable.

But as usual I got impatient and wanted some Chorizo before the weather got too hot! :lol:

Do you only use your biltongbox for biltong?
What do you use for salamis etc?
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:48 pm

Well, I've just spent ten minutes in the garage wrapping my box in black bin bags to make my sausage damp. :shock:

And my wife has sent for the men in white coats :lol:
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:08 pm

Yes, my biltongbox is only used for Biltong and Droewors at the moment. My website has been online since 1994 with instructions on how to make biltong & a biltong box:

http://www.biltongbox.com/

Actually - one chap e-mailed me once saying he converted the biltongbox into a yoghurt maker.

As for salamis - i've never made them before - that's why i'm asking so many questions - i'm very keen to try!
aris
Site Admin

Postby Platypus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:35 pm

It was your site that inspired me to build my biltongbox, but being limited for space I would like to make it multi-purpose if possible.

As for the salami, this is my first time, but if I can help I will. The only suggestion I can offer at the moment is to get started sooner rather than later 'cos as the weather starts to get warmer it will become more difficult to keep them cool enough during the maturation phase.
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:26 pm

For myself I think it a little late for me to start salami this year but determined to give it a go next year. Thank god I have an understanding wife.

You have probably seen spuddys thread about salami and Chorizo.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... highlight=

I will probably give them a try next year.

I know we all like to be scientific but I would like to see the range at which the LS 25 Starter Culture can multiply successfully.

I know Franco recommends a certain temp + humidity but I think the bacteria would probably be successful at a variety of temps, humidity. If any of you find any info let me know please. By the way does anybody know the full name of this lactic acid producing bacteria?
Oddley
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Curing Techniques