Informative paper on curing

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Informative paper on curing

Postby jjr-6 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:14 pm

Hi all,

After Oddley helped me so much yesterday, I thought I'd give something back to the forum by posting this article - it clarified things for me quite a lot. Some of you may be familiar with it already, but here it is anyway...

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare ... 994web.pdf

This is a .pdf file, which will automatically download. If you'd prefer to have a look at the html version on screen first, then try typing 'f-3994 meat' into google - it should show you the link and you then click on 'view as html'.

Regards,

John.
jjr-6
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:27 am

That was interesting reading John, very explanatory though. It made sense of a lot of the stuff I have already read about. Seems curing is a very exacting process, which is what I had gathered. Not a lot of room for error. Bit of a drawn out process.
So far I have not tried curing anything, but it's a recurring thought so maybe. I would hate to lose a large piece of meat through getting it wrong, knowing that I could have made a different product and frozen it.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:19 am

John,

Thank you for posting the .pdf. It is a very good document.

Here is another doc to help in the understanding of nitrites and a simple formula for dry cure. Also some understanding of the production of Nitrosamines.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... J0974.html
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:49 am

These are both really useful documents, thanks.
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:07 am

Another good document Oddley..

It's all very serious stuff.. bit like a science lesson combined with maths, both subjects I was horrendous at when at school. The only maths I can do is.. if I cook 12 sausages and eat 8, not only am I left with 4 but I have also annoyed the diabetic nurse.. LOL

The original question to this thread was with regard to a pork pie recipe, and we have been all over the place. I can feel a first attempt at bacon coming on. I have some digital scales that measure in single gramms but believe I would have to get finer ones, and I assume I must try to find some zip-lock plastic bags large enough..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:33 am

You can get a digital scale which measures to the gram at Argos. You don't really need a sub-gram scale.

You can get large zip-lock bags at Tesco, but could use several layers of cling-film too.
aris
Site Admin

Postby jpj » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:34 am

but you might as well get one that does sub-gram weights if you think you're going to do some dry-curing in the future
http://www.ourweigh.co.uk/x5067.html
is cheaper than argos and free delivery
jpj
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:56 am

The scales I have are the Hanson Gourmet from Argos, �14.99.. 3kg/6 1/2lbs capacity in 1 grm or 1/8 oz increments. The others are the ones I use for weighing generally and are called Waymaster. They show up to 10 lbs in 1 ozs, and 5 kg in 25 grm. I have had them for about 15 years and they have served me well. They still weigh a bag of sugar accurately so I assume they are accurate right through the scale (pardon the pun).

Point taken re:- Triton T2. Don't think they come with a calibrating weight though. 0.1 grm is very fine indeed. I will probably end up buying a set of the finer ones, did look on Ebay some time back.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:19 pm

As normal I went well over the top and bought 2 sets of scales and 2 calibration weights. the scales I bought (Image below) Were 0.1 gm and 0.01 gm.

I use the 0.1 gm which is 250 gm max for weighing up spices. With small amounts of meat spices often have to be mixed in less than a gm. Then there is the 0.01 gm scales these I use exclusively for weighing up chemicals. I do this because the 0.01 scale is only 50 gm max so is delicate and I want them kept that way.

I got both sets and calibration weights from ebay.

I'm quite pleased with both scales.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:50 pm

I personally don't see the need for such accurate scales. A gram here or there won't make much difference. The only place where a need for sub-gram measurements was needed was for starter culture, and jpj determined that 0.5g of it was 1/8th of a teaspoon.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Hobbitfeet » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:36 pm

I must agree with Oddley, I use the 0.01g version for accurate measuring of cures and cultures. I got mine from Ebay, from a chap calling himself "Ukscales-china". Even though he cashed my cheque and sent me the goods, he instigated a non-payment strike against me. I can not reccomend this person as a consequence as it seems his administration is, allegedly, not as good as it might be.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:02 pm

aris , I think it's a case of horses for courses.

I recently made Toulouse Sausage with a 100 ppm of nitrite. This worked out for the amount I was doing about 0.56 gm of cure #1.

If I had used a 1 gm scale the amount used could have been anywhere between 1 and 1.99 gm so could have been 2 to 4 times the amount that I wanted 200 - 400 ppm. So for me a 0.01 scale is a necessity.

For you it might be different.
Oddley
Registered Member

Fine Weight Scales....

Postby ryanpropst » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:02 am

[quote="Oddley"][color=indigo]As normal I went well over the top and bought 2 sets of scales and 2 calibration weights. the scales I bought (Image below) Were 0.1 gm and 0.01 gm.

I use the 0.1 gm which is 250 gm max for weighing up spices. With small amounts of meat spices often have to be mixed in less than a gm. Then there is the 0.01 gm scales these I use exclusively for weighing up chemicals. I do this because the 0.01 scale is only 50 gm max so is delicate and I want them kept that way. "]

What are the brands and models of the two scales you purchased. I've been looking for ones that measure minute amounts. This is great information. Thanks in advance for your reply. I am keen to purchase some....
Cheers,

Ryan
First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. - Epictetus

Ryan Propst
Sydney, Australia
Culinary Student
www.xanga.com/ryaninoz
ryanpropst
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:21 am

I bought my scales from ebay. But they were supplied by:

http://ukscales.com/

Do a search on ebay for "Precision scales" this should bring up a few for you to look at.
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques