Use of a vacuum packer when making salami

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Use of a vacuum packer when making salami

Postby Kaleb » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:29 am

Great forum -- My local environmental health officer will be re-directed to the forum next time I get any nonsense!:roll:

I have attempted to make large diameter salamis (Beef Bung casings) and had trouble with excessive shrinkage spoiling the shape and appearance and not giving a consistent texture. They look very 'artisan' but I wanted to make them look more 'professional'.
I have recently tried placing the filled casings, with the ends open and with plenty of room for expansion, in my vacuum packer (a chamber type) and removed the air from the mixture by taking it down to minimum pressure and holding it there for a minute. When I release the vacuum the casing clings to the mixture and I can then seal one end and squeeze the meat down the casing without any air re-entering the mix.

It sounds messy and it is! It also wastes casing a bit. But it seems to work with shrinkage much more even and a more dense, easily sliced salami as a result. Does anyone know if commercial salami makers use a vacuum at any point?
Kaleb
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:50 am

Welcome to the forum Kaleb.

I have never made salami, but intend to at the end of the year when it's colder. So I have thought about it.

It seems to me the shape is a product of gravity, have you thought about supporting the salami until dried enough to support it's own weight. Another idea I was toying with was using meat netting to give extra support. Click
here to see the product.

I think that perhaps ( I might be wrong) that the even drying may be accomplished by an even temperature and humidity.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:06 am

Yes, I think netting might be a good idea - or even using string to hold it together - similar to tying together a roast.

Some of Len Poli's pictures with his recipes have this system.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index_files/Genoa.pdf
http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index_fil ... uccese.pdf
http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index_fil ... oscano.pdf
aris
Site Admin

Postby Kaleb » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:07 pm

Oddley wrote:
I It seems to me the shape is a product of gravity, have you thought about supporting the salami until dried enough to support it's own weight. Another idea I was toying with was using meat netting to give extra support.
I think that perhaps ( I might be wrong) that the even drying may be accomplished by an even temperature and humidity.

I use elastic netting (the smallest diameter that will fit, I have also used 'poultry bands') but the problem with the larger size salami is that the top bit where it is suspended always seems less dense than the bottom. I'm sure you are correct in saying that gravity plays a part and after the initial drying I always squeeze the meat down the casing a little at the top and re-tie the attachment. The shinkage continues though and after a while any further downward compression risks damaging the casing.
Removing as much air as possible seems to help (it is amazing to see how much comes out, the salami 'grows' by 50% in length whilst in a vacuum) but it is a messy business the way I am doing it and there must be a better method!

Thanks for the link, Aris. I note that the Toscano seems to have a few air pockets (not as bad as mine!) and does not have 'square shoulders' at the top like a commercial salami. I guess this just shows how picky and awkward I am becoming!
Kaleb
Registered Member

Postby deb » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:24 pm

I have not, as yet, had a go at drying sausages but could they not be turned around (inverted?) every couple of days. The top then becomes the bottom so maybe this would even out the density.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:54 pm

Kaleb Then perhaps the course is clear. maybe if you air dry you're salami in a horizontal position. Say on separated dowel shelves turning every day this might alleviate the problem.

As to the air problem what stuffer are you using. I'm using a Reber and have little to no air pockets in my sausage.
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques