Dry Cured Ham ...... Irish Ham

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Re: Dry Cured Ham ...... Irish Ham

Postby NCPaul » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:59 am

Way too hot smoking?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby BriCan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:35 am

yotmon wrote:
How's the Hams doing - any change in the spice mix/cure ?

Ham is not down as yet, I have just had three days off and the question of hams cropped up on Facebook which reminded me about this ham

The new location (work) would like a signature ham and the G.M. (besides being a personal friend) is from Belfast :D

Smokehouse (our own) is possibly the first sought out

Second is the Peat

And third is getting the job done

I will be doing a brine cure on this one as the last was a tad on the dry side :(
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:05 am

NCPaul wrote:Way too hot smoking?

That and being too lazy --- claims it was an electrical fire that started it :shock: :roll:

I saw the smokehouse less than seven days before the fire; ---- They had decided to make some money as things was tight so decided to smoke some fatties :shock: :shock: :shock:

For you that have know idea (nor I until I looked into it some time ago) what a Fatty is -- the following ---

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1302 ... fast-fatty

Being long in the tooth there was a saying when I was a young'un --- 'It was black as the black hole of Calcutta" them words are an understatement of the condition of said smokehouse -- the pool of grease :roll: :shock: so who knows when the stack had been cleaned last :(
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:12 pm

It sure does seem like time of old has stood still on this .... much time has gone by with lingering thoughts of what could have been but in essence it is no use for pondering what could have been nor crying over spilled milk

With the change of venues and of taskmasters a new and exciting venture has begun ....

At my new location both on my bosses ... (both long time friends) the Chef and the GM have literally told me to get on with what I do the best ... and that is to play with meat :lol:

Having been at the present location for close to a year things have progressed from what again was/is a humble start.

Trying to teach the fundamentals of curing ... like writing things down :shock: and the use of cures has been a lot of fun with the Chef .. for homework I loaned him my Maynard Davies books and in the coarse of reading he came across the mention of the 2000 year old ham recipe .... page 56 of the Manual of a Traditional Bacon Curer .. the Roman Ham

His first words the following morning after reading about the ham was; I want to do this ... yes its on the books to do ... but in the meantime it reminded me of other things and most of all was this Irish Ham that to me had not as yet been completed

A few nights ago vagreys and I was chatting and once again I have requested his help on this ..... hopefully this time we can bring this to a successful conclusion
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques