Venison Proscuitto Lucca

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Venison Proscuitto Lucca

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:13 am

I have made some venison proscuitto lucca following Len Poli's recipe using a haunch. It has had its initial curing time and has now been hanging in my fridge for a week at between 65% Rh and 75% RH @ approx 14C - 16C. It has become slightly sticky to the touch and is developing a slightly 'cheesey' smell. I know parma and serrano do have a slightly cheesey smell to them but wonder about the 'stickiness'. Also, although the outside is quite firm it still feels as though the inside is still soft. Len advocates 15 days hanging.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:56 am

Hi Paul.

I think the cheesy smell is ok I've heard it described before.

Even with the humidity, the outside hard the inside soft sounds like what I had with the salami I made, I described it as case hardening. I think I might hang the meat, in the fridge, in a brown paper bag. This should help.

The stickiness I'm not sure about. I think I would rub the meat with some vinegar this will lower the ph and should make the meat a more hostile place for bacteria

These are all theory's Paul so feel free to ignore them.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:31 am

The stickiness is just a result of the meat juices evaporating slowly off the surface, it will go away as the meat dries further.

The cheesiness is from lactic bacteria and won't harm the proscuitto, it will naturally die off as the penicillin mould takes over, but if you find it too strong a smell then do as oddley sugested and wash it off with vinegar.

Don't forget that the hanging time is just a guide, and if you think it needs to dry a bit more - hang it a bit longer :wink:
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:48 pm

How do you keep your fridge at 14-16C? Does it have a setting to keep that high a temp?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:47 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. Seems all should turn out OK.

@ Aris

It was a bit of messing with the dodgey thermostat on this old fridge (23 years old), and it was rather unstable for a couple of days until the fogger had built up the humidity levels. As the fogger is working it makes the water reservoir quite warm and I am sure this helps. I did note that it remained unstable/fluctuated until quite a lot of frost had formed on the cooler unit. This was all more by luck than judgement.. as I say, it fails to chill the cider but you can't have it all ways.. and while it's performing with humidity and temperature thats quite near to optimum, I am loathe to go near let alone adjust it yet.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:39 pm

Paul,

come on hand over the recipe in full! You know I would like to try this :wink:

Hope the pastrami was as good as i promoised :?:
Safe Shooting, Good Hunting, Eat Well!
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:42 am

Deer Man

Yes, I am very pleased the way the venison haunches of pastrami turned out, plus I can now slice it thinly (1/16")... makes a glorious sandwich.

There's no secret with the proscuitto recipe, it's the one on Len Poli's site, but with all ther percentages lowered to reflect the size of the haunch..

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index_files/Carne%20Salata.pdf

in my case the boned haunch weighed 1375 grammes
3.575 grammes cure #2
36.3 grammes salt
18.15 grammes sugar
11.55 grammes garlic powder
5.5 grammes black pepper
3.575 grammes dry rosemary
2.475 grammes crushed coriander seed
2.475 grammes grated nutmeg
1.925 grammes mace powder
0.55 grammes cinnamon powder
0.55 grammes clove powder

I mixed it all, rubbed it in the meat all over and inside the boned part.
Vac packed it and left it in the fridge for 5 days.
Washed all the bits off and dried it.
It is now mid way through its 15 days @ 13C and 60% RH... although both the temp and Rh in my fridge are slightly higher than this @ 65 - 75 RH and 14 - 16C.. more by luck than judgement I'll admit.

I have noticed the ice on the cooler element is getting increasingly thicker by the day and I firmly believe this ice is insulating the element, coupled with the warm fogger is the reason the temp and RH are so good. Also notice the chorizo is getting increasingly harder, as explained by Oddley.

BTW, I am 'test driving' a game sausage mix for Franco pending introduction. I have made 2 kg of venison sausages and stuffed them into sheeps casings. I have just had 2 in a sandwich and they are savoury and very nice. I am taking a few pounds to a BBQ tonight so will glean some feedback hopefully before they all get sozzled. :wink:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:43 pm

UPDATE

The venison haunch proscuitto has now ceased to feel sticky, as described above, but is developing white mould spores. Please tell me this is normal :? i know it is desirable for chorizo or salami, but Len Poli does not mention it in his recipe. Incidentally, the chorizo hanging the other side of the fridge has NO mould.

Excuse the string, but I had to use that method to initially hang it, until my hooks turned up.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:49 pm

Paul, will the stainless not react with the cure?
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:09 am

Deer Man

I believe that stainless steel does not react at all with the cure, I will update here if there is any change. It is a case of learning.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:09 pm

Paul, I only mentioned it as most recipes always say a non reactive dish or bowl, ie glass or plastic.

I think the worst that could happen is you get rust forming on the hooks?
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:20 pm

Deer Man

The initial curing period was 5 days in a vac pack, it was then washed and dried and is now hanging. If I get any reaction at all from the hooks, I will notice it pretty much straight away as I check on things at least twice a day. If it appears to be spoiling I will remove the offending part and revert back to the string.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:35 pm

Paul

I am sure it will turn out fine! When is it finished, I can't wait to hear about the results :wink:
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:32 pm

Being stainless it won't rust, however stainless does eventually become pitted by the action of salt.
This isn't a quick reaction but it may spoil the hooks over time and is unlikely to have any effect on the meat.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:53 pm

Thanks for the info Spuddy.

The white mould on the proscuitto seems to be growing by the day. By the time the 15 days are up, the chorizo should be ready.. also the Lomo will be ready for washing and hanging, and the boned leg will be due for its second cure..

The ice on the cooler element is now about 1" thick..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Next

Return to Curing Techniques