¡Hola!

Introductions and chatter

¡Hola!

Postby EnriqueB » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:00 am

Hi, new member from Spain. I started making fresh sausage a few months ago with a Kenwood attachment but soon, after reading this forum and other places, turned to a small vertical stuffer --only after my wife threatened me to leave if I asked her again to help me stuffing with that attachment from hell :D

Living in a small apartment curing or smoking is not yet feasible, but hope I will be able to do it in the future.

I must say that I am surprised at the lack of quality information about sausage making in Spanish. Though having a charcuterie tradition (chorizos, morcillas, longanizas...) it seems the DIY sausage movement has not really started here. I could not find a single web page or modern book in spanish dealing with this topic. So I resorted to books & websites in English. I already had Ruhlmann (realize it has its critics), then I got excellent information from books like Marianski&Marianski (which I bought following recommendations here) or Modernist Cuisine. What I am missing now is more local information about meat cuts (quartering conventions are quite different between countries, and sometimes it's hard to come up with the translation of a given cut) and recipes, but I'm getting info from my butchers little by little :)
EnriqueB
Registered Member

Re: ¡Hola!

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:26 am

Welcome to the forum. :D There are several fans of Spanish sausages on this site. I've been told that the cuts to use for Spanish sausages are the collar (aguja), belly (panceta), and the jowl (papada).
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby EnriqueB » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks for the welcome & info, NCPaul! My butcher told me he often uses collar, so I'm trying it for my next batch instead of the shoulder I've been using.
EnriqueB
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Try using all three. The jowls and belly will help to provide the necessary fat content. The collar is not much different than the shoulder (in the US the shoulder comes with part of the collar).
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:55 pm

I agree there is very little out there. I have found one Latin American Spanish book on sausage making, but it is not about Latin American sausages - just the standards from other cuisines. A member of this forum is publishing a book on Spanish charcuterie, within the 12 months. See here: http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10897
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby onewheeler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:21 pm

¡Hola! Enrique,

I could not find a single web page or modern book in spanish dealing with this topic.
Here's a link to a Spanish web page dealing with charcuterie... http://ileychorizos.tripod.com/index.html

And welcome!

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Welcome!

There's a recipe for txistorra on here somewhere that links through to a Spanish site. I've also had good results on Youtube using language-based searches and looking for stuff close to national boundaries to take advantage of overlap (Portugal for Spain etc).
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby EnriqueB » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:34 am

NCPaul wrote:Try using all three. The jowls and belly will help to provide the necessary fat content. The collar is not much different than the shoulder (in the US the shoulder comes with part of the collar).

Sure! Only that I have some "tocino" (fatback?) ibérico frozen from last batch that I want to use as fat, in next batches I'll try the jowls.

About the belly, I understand it is a soft fat with a low melting point and that makes it not the best choice for sausage? Should it be used in a low proportion and completely frozen before grinding?
EnriqueB
Registered Member

Postby EnriqueB » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:36 am

vagreys wrote:I agree there is very little out there. I have found one Latin American Spanish book on sausage making, but it is not about Latin American sausages - just the standards from other cuisines. A member of this forum is publishing a book on Spanish charcuterie, within the 12 months. See here: http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10897

Thanks vagreys, I've been following that thread and a similar one from the authors in eGullet. Looks great, looking forward for the book release!
EnriqueB
Registered Member

Postby EnriqueB » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:45 am

onewheeler wrote:¡Hola! Enrique,

I could not find a single web page or modern book in spanish dealing with this topic.
Here's a link to a Spanish web page dealing with charcuterie... http://ileychorizos.tripod.com/index.html

And welcome!

Martin/

Thanks Martin! I didn't know the page. Definitively in Spanish language but from a latin american source --not bad, of course, but cut standards and some terms are quite different from the ones used in Spain :)

Maybe I should qualify: there are some books, of course (I own a couple) and some web pages, but I find they are low quality, mostly recipes without any mention whatsoever to good technique, or with a pretty "old" focus, or not thinking in the home maker....
EnriqueB
Registered Member

Postby EnriqueB » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:52 am

Dogfish wrote:Welcome!

There's a recipe for txistorra on here somewhere that links through to a Spanish site.

Found it! Very useful, thank you!
EnriqueB
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:26 pm

hello
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BriCan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:02 am

Greetings;

I do not know if the following will be of any help to you but is worth a look

http://www.sossai.net/salumi/salumicasalinghi.htm
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Welcome to the forums EnriqueB
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi EnriqueB, welcome.

I don't speak Spanish, so would be most grateful if you'll share any findings here. (hint, hint!)

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Chatter