Black pudding - casing or not?

Introductions and chatter

Black pudding - casing or not?

Postby msarro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi everyone!
My fiancee and I received a meat grinder as a bridal shower give this past weekend, and today our sausage horn is arriving. I'm really excited!

Now that we have this on hand, I can start making black pudding - a favorite of mine that is nigh impossible to find in this part of the US. I was planning on using a recipe similar to this one:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... g-51145600 - but subbing 1/2 of the fat for 1/2 pork belly, and adding some raisins and nuts.

Now, most of the recipes I've found seem to just have the black pudding cooked without a casing as a loaf. I was planning on a beef casing since they're readily available locally. I personally like the idea of a casing. Is it possible to stuff a casing and then bake? Or will it be too wet of a mixture and just make a mess?

I also toyed with the idea of letting the oatmeal sit covered with the blood for a little while to thicken in a refrigerator prior to stuffing. Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
msarro
Newly Registered

Re: Black pudding - casing or not?

Postby Dogfish » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Welcome! Location will be helpful.

I think Black Pudding is liquid enough to be cased through a funnel.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi Msarro and welcome to the forum. I think if you like the taste of baked black pudding then just place it in a tray without the bother of stuffing. However, If you are looking for a more 'traditional' way of cooking (poaching) then a casing would be required. Seems that if Beef bungs are available locally then I would go for the traditional type.
Once the puddings are stuffed, roll them gently with your hands to 'equalise' the ingredients so that they are not all sat at one end.

Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:07 pm

Welcome Msarro.

Don't over-stuff the casings or cook them too hot, otherwise they'll split and you'll end up with black-pudding soup!

I'd cook them in water at 80°C (about 175°f).

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter