Steel stuffer tubes

Introductions and chatter

Steel stuffer tubes

Postby Laripu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:13 am

I just received a LEM catalog. I have their 5 lb stuffer, which came with plastic tubes. They're selling steel tubes for it. I was wondering off anyone has experience with both, and I'd you can tell me whether the steel tubes are significantly better, anf in particular, whether they're easier to put the casings on.

Thanks in advance.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Re: Steel stuffer tubes

Postby Big Guy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:17 pm

the ss tubes are much better, easier to get the skins on as they are slipperier and not tapered. Get them you won't ever regret it.
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:18 pm

+1

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby SimonSez » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Got my 5lb stuffer with ss tubes, a huge improvement over the plastic tubes I was using!!

Again, you won't regret it.
SimonSez
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Many thanks! That justifies my impending purchase.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:38 pm

I ordered the stainless steel stuffing tubes today.

Plus more hog casings, plus lamb casings for when I make merguez again....that is, when I can source lamb that doesn't cost a fortune. :roll:
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:56 am

The tubes arrived yesterday, along with some casings. They fit the LEM stuffer perfectly. The narrowest of the steel tubes is considerably narrower than the narrowest of the plastic ones, so that should make it perfect for lamb casings. Last time I used lamb casings, I had a problem with them breaking. This should be better.

Soon it will be time for goat-and-chicken merguez. :)
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Laripu wrote:Soon it will be time for goat-and-chicken merguez. :)

Now that does sound interesting.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Laripu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:33 pm

wheels wrote:
Laripu wrote:Soon it will be time for goat-and-chicken merguez. :)

Now that does sound interesting.

OK then, Phil/Wheels ... have a look here, and let me know what you think.
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:18 pm

A couple of weeks ago I made sausage with the new steel tubes. I was hoping the new tubes would make it easier to put the casings on, but it wasn't any easier. I do use some vegetable oil to make it slip more, but it only helps for a few seconds. Am I doing something wrong? How long does it take for you to skip on 4 feet of casing?

I'm using the 1 inch tube for 32-35 mm casings. Should I use a narrower tube?
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi Laripou, what type of casings do you use. I use dry salted hog skins and after soaking them suffiently in tepid water they feel quite slippery and soft. They should thread onto the tube with ease as long as they are wider in circumference that is. 35mm is nearly 1.5 inch so using the 1" tube shouldn't pose any problems. Did you try the trick that Wheels mentioned re' adding a pinch of bi-carb of soda to the water, last time I used a plastic tube it worked a lot better.

HTH. Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:38 am

yotmon wrote:Hi Laripou, what type of casings do you use. I use dry salted hog skins and after soaking them suffiently in tepid water they feel quite slippery and soft. They should thread onto the tube with ease as long as they are wider in circumference that is. 35mm is nearly 1.5 inch so using the 1" tube shouldn't pose any problems. Did you try the trick that Wheels mentioned re' adding a pinch of bi-carb of soda to the water, last time I used a plastic tube it worked a lot better.

HTH. Yotmon.

I also use dry salted hog casings. The night before, I rinse them well, inside and out, then I leave them in a little bowl of water overnight in the fridge. Just before stuffing I give them a quick rinse. Mine are also slippery and soft. I also put oil on the tubes.

I didn't try bicarbonate of soda, because I didn't know about it, but I do now, thanks. I'll try that next time. Maybe that will help.

Mine didn't thread onto the tube with ease. They went on slowly and with effort. Do you put them on when the tube is vertical, or when the tube is already on the stuffer, horizontally? (I did the latter.)
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby Thewitt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:48 am

We never use oil or anything special. Just soak for 30 minutes, rinse and immediately feed onto the tube.

No issues.
Thewitt
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:32 am

I'd use a 3/4 inch tube.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:13 pm

it should only take a minute or less to slip on 4 feet. Try soaking longer I soak mine overnight in the fridge, no oil just wet the tube first, horizontal and go for a smaller tube.
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Next

Return to Chatter