I should have introduced myself here first

Introductions and chatter

Re: I should have introduced myself here first

Postby GUS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:30 pm

...& there's me (& family) who yearn for the cold of Canadian winters (does less damage to your bones than a damp winter in the uk , ...make that damp summers & winters in the uk).

Frequent visitors to Alberta & all is good bar some of the beer (no such thing as a good bitter that i've found, would love to be proven wrong) red aint bitter! :wink: ..but I can "suffer that" gladly.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:27 pm

GUS wrote:...& there's me (& family) who yearn for the cold of Canadian winters

Please someone tell me this person is not 'completely' deranged :wink:

(does less damage to your bones than a damp winter in the uk , ...make that damp summers & winters in the uk).

Ok; I'll give you that, :lol: :lol: One wonders (pals at ome) why I do not go up my end that much when ome. Too bloody cold, usually pissing down wiv rain and a gail force 10 coming off the water; no I'll stay down Wheels end ... much better .. and the beers good as well :wink:

Frequent visitors to Alberta & all is good bar some of the beer (no such thing as a good bitter that i've found, would love to be proven wrong) red aint bitter! :wink: ..but I can "suffer that" gladly.

You need to come over our end, mosquito's are a lot smaller not like them monsters back there :lol: :lol: as for the beer, there are a 'few' local brews that might/could be worth sampling (but not many and few and far between) which is the prime reason that I have my fill when I come back :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:44 pm

GUS wrote:...& there's me (& family) who yearn for the cold of Canadian winters (does less damage to your bones than a damp winter in the uk , ...make that damp summers & winters in the uk).

Having lived through 40 years of cold Canadian winters, followed by 16 years of Florida heat and humidity, I'll take the heat, thank you.

As to the beer, Canada has very retrograde alcohol laws. In many respects, Canadian law can be more progressive than US law (although the US eventually follows). In the area of alcoholic beverages, however, Canadian provinces have so many tight restrictions that these laws have choked off consumer choice very badly.

For example, Unibroue beer, excellent Belgian-style ale made in Quebec, is easily available in Tampa and most other places in Florida. Try to find it in Ontario; I wasn't able to. Can you get it in BC? Similarly, there's a blond ale made in Ontario, that I like, called "Lug Tread", made in a town that's not 14 km from Quebec...yet this beer cannot be bought in Quebec. Stupid. And destructive both to commerce and to consumer choice.

The US has a number of beers that are called "amber ale" which are a pretty good approximation of bitter. And I agree, "red ain't bitter". Many excellent US IPAs are easily available in groceries: Sierra Nevada Torpedo is a good example, which all my aquaintances in the UK enjoy when they can get it. Of course, American hops taste different than UK Goldings or Fuggles, but that's all right, that's "terroir", as they say.

Can you get beer from Sierra Nevada, Stone, Dogfish Head, Samuel Adams, etc in Canada?
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:13 pm

I would be delighted to meet up with any forum members. I now cater a number of the weddings at Ludlow Castle as well as trying to be on the market on a Fri and Sat and every other Thursday at the local produce market. This weekend was the fantastic Medieval Festival in Ludlow castle, there were thousands and thousands of people, totally brilliant. I was selling (apart from sausages) 6oz Hereford steak burgers with homemade coleslaw and a horseradish mayo for £4. We ran out very early :( My wife was on the market selling my Gloucester Old spot pork pies, Mixed game and port soaked sultana pies and chicken breast and home smoked gammon pies, she dressed up as Mrs Miggins and sold out early as well......hey ho, must make more..........................cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter