Scaling up

Introductions and chatter

Scaling up

Postby ped » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:14 pm

Has anyone had the experience of scaling up a recipe and finding that an ingredient starts to overwhelm the overall flavour of the original recipe, is it just a case of testing/tasting until the balance is found or is there some sort of rule of thumb that one can use?Just as an example, I like the hint of cloves in some recipes but I'm pretty sure that if I added the equal proportion to a scaled up version the cloves would be far too much, or am I wrong?
ped
Registered Member

Re: Scaling up

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Yes, it's a major problem when altering the size of small brine cures. Unfortunately, I have no answer for it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:43 am

The book "Food for Fifty" has a really good discussion about the challenges of scaling. No method is perfect - spices and liquids will gradually become unbalanced. The percentage by weight method keeps me closest to my recipes, because the ingredients remain in relative proportion. Multiplying volumes is the least accurate, in my experience, particularly where liquids are concerned.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby ped » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:41 am

So bottom line, trial and error.
ped
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:28 pm

I avoid using volume whenever possible, weights the only way to fly. I've taken a recipe originally developed for 10 lbs and make 127 without any issue....
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby tommix » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:30 pm

Calculating by percentages is the only way to go, this is the percentage calculator that I use and have never had any problems.
http://www.math.com/students/calculator ... ercent.htm
tommix
Registered Member

Postby Thewitt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:26 am

Scaling by weight is the easiest way to go. Though I've had to modify a couple of recipes when making 200k batches, in general they scale just fine by weight.
Thewitt
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:23 pm

Are we talking cures, or sausages?

I've never had any problem with sausage, but the spicing of cures can be a bit of a problem when you scale them, particularly with a 2:1 meat:brine equilibrium cure. If you double the spice for twice the weight of meat, you can end up with over-spiced meat.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:25 pm

FWIW, here's a recipe template the I put together which has 3 forms of scaling....a multiplier, key ingredient (meat) quantity and baker's percents.....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1381 ... alculators
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Return to Chatter