Sausage casings from scratch !

Introductions and chatter

Sausage casings from scratch !

Postby sundodger » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Today when I picked up my supply of Pork, the supplier presented me with about 3 kilos of pigs entrails FOC.
The question is, as like many others I suppose, have only ever used ready prepared casings, will the preparation outway the advantages, of getting them as a freebee? I assume that all will require stripping out & then flushing - These still have evidence of a lot of material within ! Also the entrails a a darker browny colour than the bought casings, is some kind of bleaching needed? Finally if I do prepare them, I assume that if I pack in sea salt, they will keep as per the bought casings ? Sorry if this seems a dim kind of question, but it would be interesting to see how things go & would be grateful, for any advice on the matter.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Re: Sausage casings from scratch !

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:12 pm

wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:47 pm

I think that they would be time consuming to clean out but well worth doing just for the experience (at least once). Better that it's January and not July, as the weather shouldn't be a problem seeing as its an 'outside job', not something to be done on a Greek summers day'. Good luck !
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:58 am

Search "Matanca do porco" on Youtube and it'll show a pig kill in the Azores; there's a couple old ladies who demonstrate how to strip and clean the entrails during the video. They show the kill from beginning to end, squeal through the final meal. Actually kind of a pleasant video.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Return to Chatter