Christmas Curing

Introductions and chatter

Christmas Curing

Postby NCPaul » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:25 pm

I hope I'm not the only one that has started to make plans for dry cured meats and sausages for Christmas. :D I started a bresaola this week using Wheels' recipe and I am planning mostly Spanish items from the Weiss book Charcuteria. Lomo, chorizos, fuet and salchichon are on my to do list. What are the rest of you planning meatwise or otherwise for the holidays?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Christmas Curing

Postby DanMcG » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:47 pm

Heck I might pull the lonzino I started last Christmas and pulled in march, Its been vac sealed in the frig and looks like the day i sealed it....heck, I might try it tonight. and start another one . Thanks for getting the wheels turning Paul
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:22 pm

Oh Poo. That's my Christmas spent on tenterhooks then, until I know whether Paul's guests have enjoyed it!

I'm awful, I end up doing an injection cured ham etc... etc... I guess, because I spend too much time telling other people what to do! A case of do as I say, not as I do! :oops: :oops:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby badjak » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:39 am

Nothing more intelligent here than throwing a turkey in the brine about 24 hours before cooking it on the kettle braai :D

(and not forgetting to start defrosting it about 2-3 days prior)
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:27 am

Every christmas wwe do a lot of Cudighi as its such a festive seasoned recipe, this year we are curing and drying some large diameter ones for a fragrant christmas salumi.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:45 am

I'll be doing the Turkey low and slow on the kettle BBQ overnight this year. I've been building up the courage to do it for several years now :)

And I'll be getting a Ham on soon too. I may even do the Christmas chipolatas too if I can get organised. They always seem to fall off the list at the last minute :D
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Wunderdave » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:37 pm

Nothing more fancy planned right now than some triple cold-smoked streaky bacon a la Brican. Maybe some beef jerky too, if I can be arsed to fiddle with hanging it.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:17 am

Nothing fancy.
A couple dry-cured pork tenderloins, at least a couple smoked cottage "hams" and some smoked cranberry plumps.
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:53 pm

This where I've gotten to so far, 3 different chorizos (Asturiano, Cantimpalos, and Soria), Salchichon, and a bresoala. I have a coppa and lomo embuchado curing still, then I'm done except for the waiting.

Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:14 pm

Lookin' good, Paul!

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Return to Chatter