Bacon facts

Introductions and chatter

Bacon facts

Postby kil2k » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:38 pm

I came upon whilst searching the interwebs for alternative bacon cures, tips etc. Thought they were quite fascinating!

Interesting Bacon Facts:

• According to a survey of 2000 Brits by UK Food Network, Bacon takes the number one spot in Britain’s Top 100 Foods, closely followed by chocolate and steak

• The Bacon sandwich remains the most popular out‐of‐home snack with 324million servings in the 12 months to September 2012, an increase of 2.9% (year‐on‐year)

• Bacon – more than any other protein – is at the top of the consumers’ shopping list. Seven out of ten bacon shoppers have made the decision to buy even before they enter the store

• The reason that bacon has been such an important food for so many years is simply because ‘cured’ or ‘preserved’ bacon provided many of our ancestors with their only source of meat during the long and often harsh winters

• The country’s earliest traditional breakfast of bacon and eggs dates back to 1560

• British Bacon is part of our national heritage; there are records of the Romans salting sides of bacon as early as 200BC and Julius Caesar brought his own bacon with him when he landed in ancient Britain in 55BC :shock:

• To bring home the bacon – there are several possible origins to this saying. One goes back almost a thousand years to the Essex village of Dunmow where, it is said, in AD1111 a noble woman offered a prize of a side of bacon, known locally as a flitch, to any man from anywhere in England who could honestly say that he had complete marital harmony for the preceding year and a day. In over 500 years there were only eight winners. An alternative explanation comes from the ancient sport of catching a greased pig at country fairs. The winner kept the pig and ‘brought home the bacon’.

The last time I brought home a greased pig it took me 4 years before I could get her to move out :roll:
kil2k
Registered Member

Re: Bacon facts

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:13 pm

:D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby GUS » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:20 pm

In the words of "Renton" from Trainspotting

"Choose life, choose Bacon"
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby buckeye » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:14 am

The last time I brought home a greased pig it took me 4 years before I could get her to move out :roll:[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
buckeye
Registered Member

Return to Chatter