lard better than sunflower oil for frying.

Introductions and chatter

lard better than sunflower oil for frying.

Postby kimgary » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:34 pm

My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Re: lard better than sunflower oil for frying.

Postby yotmon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:45 pm

Interesting. When was the last time you saw a fried bread triangle cooked in lard or bacon fat being offered as part of a full 'English' breakfast. Can taste it now :drool:
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: lard better than sunflower oil for frying.

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:21 pm

I've been hearing the benefits of lard for some time now and started rendering my own lard last year to use exclusively for frying/higher heat applications as well as to make amazing pie crusts. The only thing this study didn't mention is if they tested pure rendered lard or that shelf-stable crap full of preservatives and additives to keep it "safe". I personally like to try to keep my foods as pure and natural as possible and the research I have done suggests fresh rendered lard from a good fat source is leaps and bounds better than shelf-stable store bought lard. Of course most of the info I have found is more opinion based as opposed to scientific based but it makes sense to me. As for oils like rapeseed oil (renamed to a more "friendly" Canola Oil here in Canada), just watch this youtube video from the show How It's Made to see all the poison and crap that is contained in rapeseed and used to extract the oil, very scary! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfk2IXlZdbI

Rapeseed is also naturally very high in erucic acid - an acid that can cause heart damage. Prior to the GMO modified crops in use today and perfected in 1998, rapeseed oil was largely used as an industrial lubricant. However, in the 1970s, under much pressure from rapeseed growers to diversify their crop usage, studies were conducted to come up with a "safe" oil that used industrial solvents, bleaches and GMO crops with lower erucic acid levels. If that still sounds like an oil you would want to eat or feed to your children go ahead, personally I feel the more natural (like lard, cold pressed olive oil) the better. Just some more facts to ponder for the gang here ...
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Return to Chatter