U.S. and European nitrite levels, why so different?

Introductions and chatter

U.S. and European nitrite levels, why so different?

Postby Fingers » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:48 am

Cure #1 6.25% for US 0.6% for Europe.

Is this nothing more than a concentration level or do people in the U.S. use this higher % to cure the same weight of meat.

So when following a US recipe with my Polanski #1 will I be ok, as the % of nitrite would be about 90% less?
Fingers
Registered Member

Re: U.S. and European nitrite levels, why so different?

Postby DanMcG » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:22 am

You'll notice that recipes using the 6.25% also have a large amount of salt added, while your Polanski already has the additional salt added in the cure. So to answer your question, No you can't directly use your cure in the amounts found in a 6.25% cure recipe, with out doing some math to get a safe level of nitrite in your product
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:10 am

So the US want a 6.25% in their meat, where Europe want 0.6%.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:51 am

If you compare the permitted nitrate levels in ppm in the US and EU you'll find they are broadly similar. Look at exactly what's in each cure, as nitrate/nitrite levels will be different as Dan has indicated, and take the total amount of salt into consideration.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:01 am

Hey Fingers, this might help explain the difference;

I use my 2.5 gram of cure and add 15-20 grams of salt to it, while you use 26 grams of cure and add No salt.
So if you wanted to use a recipe that uses a 6.25% cure just remove the cure and the salt in the recipe and add your cure, useing what you would normally use as a safe amount.

Edit, Here's a link to the cure calculator .
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... calculator
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:54 pm

Fingers wrote:So the US want a 6.25% in their meat, where Europe want 0.6%.

No. The amount in the meat is measured in parts per million and the US, UK and EU have restrictions on the amount in the meat that are similar (156 ppm, 150 ppm, and 120 ppm, respectively). American cure #1 (6.25%) is more concentrated than UK cure #1 (5.88%), and UK cure #1 is more concentrated than all-purpose curing salt (0.6%). We all want similar amounts in the meat. Americans use less of their concentrated cure and dilute it with plain salt. UK curers use a little more of their concentrated cure than the Americans and dilute it with plain salt. People using all-purpose curing salt don't add any plain salt to their cure because it is already diluted. The amount of salt and nitrite going into the meat is about the same - a little less nitrite if you use the all-purpose curing salt but usually enough to keep the sausage safe.

For a kilogram of meat, I could use 2.94 grams of US Cure #1 plus additional salt, or 3.12g of UK Cure #1 plus additional salt, or about 19g of all-purpose curing salt and no additional salt, and still end up with the amount of salt I want in the sausage and enough nitrite to keep the sausage safe.

You ask a good question. Calculating the amount of cure needed is the most complicated part of curing meat, in my opinion.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:45 pm

...and I've just realised why I'm a member here. That's the best explanation you'll get to explain the differences.

Maybe post the recipe you want to use and someone here will advise the amount of your cure/salt that you should use?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:28 am

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-making/curing

This is the info that has me a little confused, chart near the bottom. 'There are different cures in European countries, for example in Poland a commonly used cure goes by the name “Peklosól” and contains 0.6% of Sodium Nitrite to salt.'

I have bought these which contradict that info and contain 6.25%

http://www.homecuring.co.uk/product_inf ... ucts_id=83
http://www.homecuring.co.uk/product_inf ... ucts_id=82
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:37 am

Edit that above*

I was getting thrown with it not being pink, and outside of the US, AND the name Prague Powder. It seems I have bought the US cure which is also known as, Prague Powder, which is 6.25%.

SO

If I am curing sausage can I stick to 27.5g salt + 2.5g Cure #2 per KG of meat. Would this provide a fail safe cure then its just spices and herbs to taste?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:46 am

Yes. :D You could even have the salt go as low as 21 g for a sausage that takes more than two weeks to dry. I remember someone lost 50 pounds of meat because they misunderstood what the cure concentration was.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Fingers » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:17 pm

Ah ok, so the length of curing can dictate the amount of salt required, and I guess the finished taste. I guess only experience is going to provide the preferred level of salt. Would it be that the longer the curing the less salty the flavour would become? Personally I like food well (properly) seasoned.

The help here is great folks, thanks very much.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Fingers wrote:Would it be that the longer the curing the less salty the flavour would become? Personally I like food well (properly) seasoned.

Other way round I believe. The longer you cure, the more salty it is.
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:12 am

Fingers wrote:Ah ok, so the length of curing can dictate the amount of salt required,

No; length of time curing dose not dictate the amount of salt required .....

What dictates the amount of salt/cure to be used is the weight of the piece to be cured :)

and I guess the finished taste.

Somewhat

I guess only experience is going to provide the preferred level of salt.

In a sense; yes but remember you have to start somewhere

Would it be that the longer the curing the less salty the flavour would become?

No; again one needs to do a EQ cure ---- 2.5% salt x weight of the meat in grams --- the cure is done the same way 0.25% cure x weight of meat in grams

This way you will not have something that is overly salty no matter how long you leave it in the cure -- you may or may not find 2.5% salt to your liking --- myself I use 2% salt on about 99.999% of all things I cure -- the one thing that never changes is the cure % which is 0.25%
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:14 am

kil2k wrote:
Fingers wrote:Would it be that the longer the curing the less salty the flavour would become? Personally I like food well (properly) seasoned.

Other way round I believe. The longer you cure, the more salty it is.

If one has not used what is called an "EQ cure" then yes this is true :(
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Chatter