Newbie introduction

Introductions and chatter

Newbie introduction

Postby Kppax57 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:29 pm

Hi
I have just joined the site so thought it best to say Hello .. hope I'm using this he right place to do so..
Just got my 1st meat grinding machean after a visit to the Drs and being told my colestral is dangerously high..
Done a week of eating salads,chicken etc but am board and craving some of my old faverates .. cooked breakfast , meatballs , spag bol, chillie etc and also its not been fair on my family having to miss out too,
so thought I could eat healthy and have some treets if I adjust what kind of meet and fat is going into my mince and sausage.
I'm a bit worried about mixing meats together as I'm wanting to make a weeks worth together say x amount of sausage , x amount of mince, x amount of meatballs to save time.

I'm looking for advice on mixing
Beef and pork
Turkey / chicken with beef/ pork
My instincts tell me I shouldn't mix poultry with meet unless I'm cooking it straight away .
Iv looked online but can't seem to find any safety info but have found a couple of mixed pork and turkey recepies, but I'm a bit couscous of doing so as I will have to keep some in the fridge for a day or two and also have to freez some..
I'll look over the site for advice but if anyone could point me in the right direction would be apreaciated
Many thanks
Paul
Kppax57
Newly Registered

Re: Newbie introduction

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi Paul, welcome to the site.

I don't see any particular issue in mixing meats, including meat and poultry.

The shelf life would be that of the product with the shortest shelf life of the meat/poultry being mixed.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Newbie introduction

Postby Robbie's » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:05 pm

You can easily mix poultry with beef or pork as long ad you cook the sausage to the proper internal temperature (165f or 74c - for chicken or turkey). In fact, using turkey thighs with beef at a 2:1 ratio enables you to make a juicy well binded sausage without the need of fillers or binders. Trying to make a 100% all beef sausage without the use of emulsifiers or binders is impossible without making the texture and consistency dry.
Robbie's
Newly Registered

Return to Chatter