Pork and stilton Sausages

Introductions and chatter

Pork and stilton Sausages

Postby ando » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:05 am

Hi All

Still being a newbie to making sausages, I want to try and make some Pork and stilton, I've got some Stilton in the freezer and some plain sausage mix.

What ammmount of stilton should I add to this and is there anything else you would reccomend I pit in.

Thanks

Mark
Mark
ando
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:41 am

I would add no more than 25% stilton, and I'd cut back on the fat content of the meat as well, the milk fats will be more than enough. I would also recommend crumbling the cheese chilled into cold sausage mix just before stuffing to stop it from smearing.

They'd be nice with some chopped prunes as well, and/or a splash of port.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:09 pm

Hi Ando
There was a discussion about stilton and sausage here http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=294
The last time I made some I added about 7.5% Stilton (crumbled in 1/4" chunks) and about 7% leeks and things came out good.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby ando » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:42 pm

Thanks for the replys.

I'll give it a go tonight and let you know how they turn out.

Cheers

Mark.
Mark
ando
Registered Member

Postby Lee » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:04 pm

Also, add black pudding and lime pickle.
Trust me, this makes an amazing sausage!!!!!
Lee
Registered Member

Postby ando » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:41 pm

Hi

Made them up last night and today tried them and very nice they are, even if I do say so myself :D

Put 10% stilton in and Port instead of water. I left the stilton frozen and chopped it up with a knife and it made nice little chunks of stilton that explode flavour when you bite in to them!!

I also put half the ammount of Plain sausage mix into it because of the salt content in the Stilton and used only pork shoulder.

Along with these I did some Pork Apple and Cider, I put 250g of dried apple into 1kg of pork and used some Lands End Cider I got for my birthday. They also went down very nicely with the people at work who tried them today.

The last lot I did were Beef, I'm taking these to a Beef and Wiskey evening tonight, my Father-in-law is a councilor and throws an evening once a year to raise some money for the local council, anyway in these I put Salt, Pepper, Mustard powder, Mustard Seeds, cloves, bay leaves and sugar from a recipe I found on here and modified it, well left out the stuff I didn't have at home!! these tasted very nice and I'm looking forward to my first sausages going out and being tried by a large group of people.

Will let you know how they go down.

Cheers

Mark
Mark
ando
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:16 pm

Hi Mark, you don't sound like a newbie to me any more :D

Glad they went well.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:52 pm

Hi Mark and well done they all sound very scrummy. I make a good lot of pork and shropshire blue and have found the addition of chopped, pre cooked leek (sweated off in a little butter) makes a good combo.

Keep on keeping on

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Chatter