Farmers Markets

Introductions and chatter

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:30 am

Hi Lemon D

I saw these and he will do me a deal on two of them but I also put in to the search engine "fish Boxes" (sorry I dont know how to set up a link) and there is a firm selling different sizes of boxes which I think I will have a go with to start with. But many thanks for the link, it is very interesting.

On a seperate note I am taking the food saftey course this Monday and having a vist to inspect my kitchen the following week, I will let you know how I get on. Ref Farmers Markets in general, I have had "talks" with my local representative and because there are three butchers on the market they are finding it hard to let me have a go! I have put my case forward but again we wait and see. Never mind there is always more than one way to skin a sausage...........

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby markgadd » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:07 pm

Hi WW.
There must be at least ten if not a dozen or more meat stands at the Bakewell (derbyshire) farmers market .Included in this are the ostrich and water buffalo stands but there is only one smoked meat stand (Port of Lancaster).On the fridge counter side I have seen a few people with chillers like supermarket fish counters all be it old ones.
Good luck.I hope you keep us posted.
Mark .
markgadd
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks for the good wishes Mark, I will indeed bore you all as I go along - and ask advice as well of course........

Monday if the food hygiene course.........

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:13 am

You won't be boring me WW, I'm following this with great interest. Have you looked at the triple fuel (mains/12V/gas) camping/leisure /caravanning fridges at all? you wouldn't want to use them for displaying but may be a useful way of storing bulk stock in the van or under the table.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi Saucission

Thanks for the advice. I think I have come down on the side of fish boxes to start, and see where we go from there. I was considering a refrigrated van but my local butcher thinks they are a waste of money unless you are travelling great distances. I have set myself a budget, and as FB said, I expect I will go over it, so it really depends how much over i have to go to keep within the law, so as long as cold fish boexs will do (and I have been told they will), fish boxes it is for me - for now.

I am spending time today trying to track down a wholesale fish supplier for salmon. It is proving to be very interesting if not a tad difficult!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:48 am

how much salmon are you after?
jpj
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi JDP

I would buy 30 sides at a time.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:59 pm

Hi WW, have been doing Farmers Markets for 6 years every Saturday all months with our Chilli products, so If I can be of any more help let us know, Few pointers to get past which have been mentioned but are a must.
Trading Standards for labelling
Enviromental for home inspection
Public Liabilty Insurance

also 50% of the butchery we see is still using cool boxes and ice packs
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby bigblueballoon » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:10 am

Hi Welsh Wizard,

I too am thinking about making produce for sale locally at Farmers Markets; homemade hams, sausages etc. Can you give me any tips about how I should start, who I should see and any pitfalls in respect of legislation?

Many thanks :D
bigblueballoon
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi WW

I'm following this with great interest and wish you every success with the venture.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:17 pm

Wow Hi all, and thanks for the comments.

Wilf - today I did the food safety and catering award level 2 (hope to do small gatherings and dinner parties as time goes on) - Enviromental Health visit booked for next week - PL insurance I am still looking into (any advice to which company provides a good service?) - trading standards for labeling, I am going to look into this week. I need to order some fish boxes as I am convinced this is the best way to go and get a suitable vehicle. I need to wait 28 days to get my clearance from the Env H people so I am chasing them for a home visit every day now.

HI BBB - I am at the same stage as you I think, and in to a very steep learning curve however there has been some good advice posted here, and I hope to add to it as time rolls on.

Hi JH - Many thanks for the good wishes - smoked salmon will play a large part in the set up!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:03 pm

Looks like your just about set,

A PL insurance to consider is this one

http://www.nmtf.co.uk/
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:55 pm

WW

If you're still looking for EPS boxes then try here: www.styropack.co.uk
One of their depots is just around the corner from me but they also have one in Aberdare (don't know how close that is to you) and a few other places too.

They're manufacturers so you might be able to cut out the middle man.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Wilf - very interesting stuff, I will have a longer look tomorrow (kids on at me to get at the computer now!).

Spuddy - Thanks for that. I did contact them but the quantities I need are not really intheir league. But I have purchased 10 boxes off e-bay for �2.50 each inc delivery which is OK.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:28 pm

Whilst looking to market myself, I was told about this site from another member: www.vistaprint.co.uk

They do a limited range of free business cards and other free stuff like fridge magnets, post cards etc, all you pay is the postage which is very good - have a look and for a fiver you can get soem of your own cards printed.................

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter