Gravy

Introductions and chatter

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 am

Wiz,

Next tme you take apart a Fallow or Roe carcass, take the time to cut the bones into small pieces, especially if you bone out the haunches. by small I mean the size of an eraser, so it's a good way to work out your frustrations with the cleaver!! ;)

Anyway I freeze the bones in about 1kg packs and use them as a trivet to roast meat on. the resulting gravy is awesome!! A friend of minethat shoots a fair ammount of woodland red, uses the big bones in this way not even bothering withthe ribs. It really is amazing and if roasted and then used to make a stock used in a pie or casserole it makes all the difference.

By cutting into small pieces the marrow cooks out far easier giving the necessary goo in the bottom of the pan.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby crimsonghost » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:11 pm

I know sausage gravy is pretty common, but you can also make some rockin' gravy with bacon and bacon drippings too. For that matter fry up a fat piece of ham steak, deglaze the pan with some good old black coffee add some cayenne and a little flour and you have the famous "red eye" gravy which is also pretty famous down south. Heck for that matter regular hamburger and it's drippings make some mighty fine gravy over some hearty sourdough biscuits.
Dead men tell no tales
crimsonghost
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi FB

Hope you had a good season - thanks for the tip on the bones I will give that a try for certain. HOwever you can come and tell the dogs whats happened to their ribs!

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter