Mini Pork Pies

Introductions and chatter

Postby BriCan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:30 pm

DanMcG wrote:
BriCan wrote:I would rather a good pint of beer and a chunk of good English Cheddar cheese :D :D

Ok now I understand, its that kind of food. all the more reason to try it.

As a youngster growing up having just started working in the market on a butchers stall I was introduced at a tender young age of fourteen (half day Wednesday work) to the evils of ale :shock: by time I was fifteen the Manager took me to the pub out the back of the market for a quick lunch on a Saturday as we only had less than half hour --- just enough time for a quick pint of bitter and a pork pie -- hence the norm is to eat pork pies cold not hot -- normally at room temperature -- and preferably wiv a pint ov 'real' beer :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:43 am

Gosh that brings back memories.

I used to go into my local and there on the bar under a plastic closh were small porkies and scotch eggs. Not wrapped, refrigerated or cool just evrything a room temprature and a good whiff of a Players No6 to add to the mix.

Good grief the EHO would have a bluey these days...............

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:26 pm

After making my jelly and letting it cool, I'm of course left with some rendered fat. could this be used for the lard in the crust? or should I get some quality lard at the store?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:09 pm

DanMcG wrote:After making my jelly and letting it cool, I'm of course left with some rendered fat. could this be used for the lard in the crust? or should I get some quality lard at the store?

Stands still; reaches hand into pocket taking out a coin --- flips it into air :lol: Sorry Dan; its a 50/50 thing. Judgement call on unseen fat is hard but if fat is pure white I do not see why not, if fat is not pure white then it has some impurities in it and I myself would not use as there might be a possibility of affecting the pastry (taste wise or other :?: )

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:46 pm

Thank you sir. I'll go with store bought...
But it does look pretty good. :D
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:23 am

DanMcG wrote:Thank you sir. I'll go with store bought...
But it does look pretty good. :D

It probably dose and again it might be but there is always that ‘but.....................’

Using the store bought lard will set the bench mark and later you might want to try the saved/rendered stuff. At least this way you know where you need to be. Good luck, remember --- it’s just like falling off a log :lol: :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:37 am

How about making your pies with shop bought as planned, but make up a small batch of pastry with the render, blind bake in some ramekins or something and try some on its own. If it tastes good make up some tartlets or quiches in them
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby RodinBangkok » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:02 am

I don't see an issue with using the same lard, it will most likely take on the flavor of the stock, but if your putting it in the pies, who's to know. If you do use it take the skimmed fat and heat it gently till liquid, take a plastic tub big enough to fill with the lard only about 50% or less. In that tub fill it less than half way with water. Pour the fat into the water and put the tub in the fridge. A tapered tub is best. After the fat is set you can run a knife along the edge of the tub and lift out all or part of the slab of lard. I then take a pallet knife and gently scrape the bottom to remove any excess water.
If your in a very warm room you can throw the slab in the freezer for a bit then scrape.
Once the slab is to your liking heat it up till it just melts and put it in your final container for storage, or just pop the slab in a plastic bag and chuck it in the freezer.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Maynard Davies, in his 'Manual of a Traditional Bacon Curer', adds a small amount of bicarb of soda to assist clarification of the lard.

I've never seen this in recipes before.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby JerBear » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:07 pm

I do something similar to Rod. I had to clarify a load a lamb fat for a family recipe wood/leather conditioner so added a bunch of fatty scraps to a pot with just enough water to cover. Heated everything on low until the water evaporated and the meat browned a bit.

Strained the lot then stored to cool/solidify. Then I melted the fat with about a third the voume of fat in water just until the fat clearly melted, I did not cook off the water on this run. Let everthing cool and solidify overnight in the fridge then did it twice more. It was a fair amount of time but very little actual hands-on work.

Any impurities fall out of suspension and either into the bottom of the cooled water or at the bottom of the fat where it can be scraped off. Each melt/cool cycle clarified it even more.
Last edited by JerBear on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Our regular lard is made from rendering pork skins only, we make sure they are well trimmed of any meat, and render these till the skins just start to color. That fat is poured off and processed as I mentioned.
Then the balance is further rendered down rendering a slightly darker fat as the skins color, this is poured off and used as a good frying fat, you can blend this back in, but I like the quality of the first rendering to stand on its own. We then take whats left and put it in a cast iron pot, crank the oven up and turn the skins into very hard cracklings, using that fat also for frying. The cracklings are hard as a rock and make good dog treats.
If your rendering from bones, similar to making gelatin, just use water and low simmer as for stock, and skim skim skim. This will render a fat layer that I think is probably best for savory hot water pastries or frying, but could also be blended in with other renderings.
I know the purchased stuff is treated with chemicals to make it snow white. I've not tried bicarb, but I'm quite happy with the natural pure we can make so I don't bother. Sorry a bit off original topic...great looking pies btw.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Re: Mini Pork Pies

Postby JohnT » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:34 am

BriCan, sorry to revive this old thread but need to ask you if the pastry receipt you posted above is for making the pies in molds or hand-raising on a wooden dolly.
JohnT
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:45 pm

JohnT wrote:BriCan, sorry to revive this old thread but need to ask you if the pastry receipt you posted above is for making the pies in molds or hand-raising on a wooden dolly.

Can be used ether way with no problem that I have found :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:46 pm

After making these pork pies now about 8 times and changing the pastry recipe only twice, my wife prefers Welsh Wizards 60/40 soy flour mix. It is crispier but I don't really care. I like both versions.
The pies disappear at an alarming rate in our household when the young ones find out that pork pies are in the fridge. Their comment is always that mine are much better than the crap for sale in the shops.
Robert and Welsh Wizard, thank you for your input. :D
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Their comment is always that mine are much better than the crap for sale in the shops.

Result! :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter