Mini Pork Pies

Introductions and chatter

Postby vagreys » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:06 am

Small note on the ribs. I took Robert a pack of St. Louis cut spareribs to show him what US-style spareribs look like. The top photo is of US spareribs given my Rendezvous-style dry rub treatment, cooked low and slow. The next photo is of US loin back ribs cooked with a maple sugar and dry mustard rub, finished with a maple glaze. The third and fourth photo is of a BC cut called side ribs, given my grandfather's Memphis-style dry rub.

ETA: The dry rub recipes are posted with the other rub recipes on this forum.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby JerBear » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:21 am

Copied the recipe from the website, can't wait to make some pork pies of my own!
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 am

JerBear wrote:Copied the recipe from the website, can't wait to make some pork pies of my own!

They are fun to do, I do at least 200 a week right now as the one I do seem to one up on the commercial ones that are made back east (company used to make them for Marks & Spencer while they was out here.)

The trick is doing the pastry and the best one by far is one I came across out of the UK. The norm with hot water pastry is that once it goes cold its done for as it sets like a lead weight. The one I use is more forgiving.

The following is what I use and is in metric so is easy to make smaller batches

HOT WATER PASTRY

Preparation time: 30 minutes

• 3.200 kilos Organic Strong White Flour
• 1.250 kilos Lard
• 1.150 kilos Water
• 0.120 kilos Sugar
• 0.030 kilos Salt

METHOD
1. This is the recipe that we use, so apologies for the large amounts, but you should be able to divide them down simply enough. We boil up the lard and water separately as we have had a couple of accidents with water and lard boiling together - if it boils over (which it can do as they behave pretty violently in the pan together) it goes up like a bloody rocket, and it is extremely difficult to put out. It’s safer of course using electricity - we use gas, which is not a good idea.

2. So, place the melted lard and boiling water together in a mixer (Kenwood or Kitchen Aid style, or a Magimix blender type) and process the dry ingredients in and beat till shiny.

3. Take the paste out, spread it on a silicon paper lined tray to increase the surface area and hasten the cooling process.

4. Once cool - yes cool! - or even cold you should find it very easy to work with, and you'll find that you can use the re-roll a couple of times, provided you let it rest properly. Using it hot is a bitch and a pointless faff best avoided.

Meat filling

I find that if you cut the meat to about a quarter inch dice first of all then dust with your spices, make sure that all meat is well coated with spices and no spice is left loose then coarse grind once. Don't over pack your pies as it will be like chewing a lump of rubber :cry:

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:49 am

Good tip on boiling the lard and water separately. and thanks for the recipes.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Thanks for this BriCan.

I've been trying to find a replacement for the meat pies that were done up by Eaton's in the good old days but haven't had any luck....until, it appears, your fine creation.

Can't wait to get into this recipe because I'm thinking that the good old days have returned.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Banjoe wrote:Thanks for this BriCan.

I've been trying to find a replacement for the meat pies that were done up by Eaton's in the good old days but haven't had any luck....

I think you just dated yourself :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:33 pm

The pies and the ribs look great. Did BriCan change his thinking about chewing on bones? It looks like the ribs were done in an oven; if he comes to visit in Virigina you can do them on your smoker. I wish I was there.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby BriCan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:53 pm

NCPaul wrote: Did BriCan change his thinking about chewing on bones?

I plead the 5th, 6th, 7th and the 8th and any others that come after that :oops:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:32 pm

I guess I did date myself a bit with the Eaton's comment but if I turn up a matching recipe it's more than worth it. : ^)

These latest pictures are making me drool. Fantastic meat pies and a lineup of Rendezvous ribs are my top two do-it-yourself dreams.

Haven't found a match for Timothy's pies and the closest I can come to Charlie's ribs is accomplished only by the walk down that back alley to the original place.

You'll have to excuse me now - I have to go check out some amazing rib pictures.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Do ya normally use a condiment like mustard or HP sauce with a pie

and do ya think they would work in a mini muffin pan about half the size of a cupcake?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:45 am

Hi

I make a lot of pork pies to sell on the farmers market and I tend to cut my flower (plain) 60 / 40 with soya flour. This I find gives a crisper pastry which lasts longer.

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:37 am

DanMcG wrote:Do ya normally use a condiment like mustard or HP sauce with a pie

All down to personal taste. Tradition states a chutney/pickle similar to the 'Branston' brand. My OH likes Picalilli with a pork pie, whereas I prefer the sweetness of a good tomato ketchup.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:23 am

yotmon wrote:
DanMcG wrote:Do ya normally use a condiment like mustard or HP sauce with a pie

All down to personal taste. Tradition states a chutney/pickle similar to the 'Branston' brand. My OH likes Picalilli with a pork pie, whereas I prefer the sweetness of a good tomato ketchup.

I would rather a good pint of beer and a chunk of good English Cheddar cheese :D :D
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby tomwal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Now't wrong with a pie and a pint. :D :D :D
tomwal
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:19 pm

BriCan wrote:I would rather a good pint of beer and a chunk of good English Cheddar cheese :D :D

Ok now I understand, its that kind of food. all the more reason to try it.

Made my jelly yesterday. (I'm embarrassed to say I somehow lost your email with the spice mix for it Robert ) but I made my own and the house smelled good all morning while it was cooking down. I used a few pounds of rib trimming and it worked good.

thanks for all the help so far everyone.
DanMcG
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter