Pre Tubed Casings

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Pre Tubed Casings

Postby bwalt822 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Wish someone had told me about these when I started, they are awesome. Never going back.
bwalt822
Registered Member

Re: Pre Tubed Casings

Postby Tasso » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:19 am

I hadn't heard about those, so I watched a video just now that I found on youtube. This is from The Sausage Maker, Inc.

http://youtu.be/EcQuVRFjRxw

They appear to be incredibly easy to use. I found them in a full range of hog casing sizes, as well as 20-22mm sheep/lamb casings. I think the downside is that they are considerably more expensive than casings packed in salt or brine.
Tasso
Registered Member

Postby bwalt822 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Yes, I used the ones from the sausage maker. Very easy to use although I had to go down a size on the stuffing tube to fit the plastic sleeve on. Looks like it adds about $.25/lb which is worth it to me given the amount of time saved.

Although I had been using cheap casings like these: http://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/images/Home_Pack_Casing.jpg They were pretty short which caused more filling of the stuffer to make sure I didn't run out mid casing. Maybe its worth it to give the long higher quality casings a try too...
bwalt822
Registered Member

Postby Tasso » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:55 pm

That DeWied Home Pack casings is what I used on my first batch. I thought the casings seemed a bit short too. I think I used two or maybe 2.5 of the longer strands that I had picked out of the pack for almost 5 lbs of sausage. But I don't have any idea how long casings normally run.

BTW, I just put several of the casings on the tube, one after another. When one ran out, I tied it off and started stuffing into the next one.
Tasso
Registered Member

Postby bwalt822 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:07 pm

We also stack up multiple casings but many times its hard to judge how much meat one will hold vs how much is left in the stuffer. We didn't like running out of meat in the stuffer with 1-2ft of casing left on the tube so we'd just refill the stuffer after every casing ran out. With the good long casings we just run all 7lbs into the casing then cut it off and refill, much faster.
bwalt822
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies