Humidity + Temp controller

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Humidity + Temp controller

Postby Omri B » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:02 am

hi all,
while planning a curing chamber (modifying a fridge) i came across this controller:
http://www.suzhoulily.com.cn/en/productshow.asp?id=69

can i use it for the fridge?

many thanks,
Omri.
Omri B
Registered Member

Re: Humidity + Temp controller

Postby Odin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Omri B

Sorry I missed this one. Certainly a PID can be use on a refrigerator chamber build its done all the time. I have one for my humidifier and one for the refrigerator. This paticular one I have no experience with.
Odin
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm

I was told that PID controllers aren't good for fridges due to them reducing the power (like a dimmer switch I guess) to the fridge to adjust the temp. Apparently, fridges like to be on or off.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Odin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:33 pm

Wheels

There are many different types of PID controllers. The ones used to control refrigerator and humidity in chamber builds are just simple, well maybe not simple, on/off switches. You set a high and low and it turns off the device attached. That’s a simple explanation as the switch has other built in functions that can be adjusted. Amazon sells the temperature controller for about $35.00. It controls both heat and cooling in one device to a certain point.

Wheels I have a PID I use to control my electric smoker. This does adjust the amount of electricity coming through the unit. Several other parts are required to make it operate properly though. There is nothing better than a device controlled by a PID it’s just to expensive for homeowner devices. They are extremely accurate devices if set up properly.
Odin
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Yes, I agree. I don't think that the simple thermostat ones are actually PID's - hence my comments re-PID's.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Equipment & Supplies