First attempt good results !

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

First attempt good results !

Postby robin » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:18 am

Thanks to those who applied to my earlier thread. I thought I'd let you know how my first attempt turned out.

I used pork shoulder which I bought from a little old fashioned butchers shop in Lowfield St, Dartford, Kent. They sell locally sourced meat which does cost more than the supermarket but in my opinion well worth it. The guys there are very friendly and happy to give you advice. Great little shop which has been there for years and are apparently now threatened with closure because the council want to redevelop that side of town. It'll be a real shame if it happens.

I used Franco's cumberland spice mix and about 5% rusk. The combined mincer/stuffer I bought for �29.99 from Lidl did a good job and was pretty easy to use. That looks to have been a bit of a bargain ! Probably no good for high volume stuffing but fine for my purpose.

The sausages had an excellent flavour and were really juicy and there was surprisingly little fat came out of them compared with shop bought sausages. Maybe the small amount of rusk I used helps make the sausage more succulent than they otherwise would have been. I might try leaving the rusk out next time and will compare the results. But really these were a world away from most of the shop bought offerings I've had in the past.

I also bought some belly pork and a nice loin of pork and I'm making bacon from these.

So all things considered a sucessful first attempt and very enjoyable - both making and eating.
robin
Registered Member

Postby _Darkstream_ » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:49 pm

Well done Robin.

Keep me posted on how the mincer does. I do not really have a need for it at present, but I might get one next time they come arround.

Does it have a pasta extruder attachemnt? Like for making macheroni, tortiglione, spaghetti?

_Darkstream_
Registered Member

First attempt

Postby robin » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:50 pm

Hi Darkstream,

No pasta maker. Just a sausage stuffer, grating and cutting attachment, a kubbe attachment and a cookie attachment. I think all I'll actually use is the mincer and sausage stuffer. But yes I'll let you know how it goes.
robin
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:07 pm

Robin

Well Done ! Can I have a taste?

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby robin » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:25 pm

Fatman,

No problem. Just let me know next time you're in Dartford. There's more to Dartford than a tunnel you know. We've got a bridge as well !
robin
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies