Info please for black pudding, casings & sausage stuffer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Info please for black pudding, casings & sausage stuffer

Postby Christine » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:00 pm

Hi all, just joined but have been reading for a couple of wks now :)

Theres a few things I need to know & hope you can help.

Do I have to use the blood the same day to make black pudding or can I put it in the fridge till the following day? And which casings would be the best to use?
Also, after I`ve made & boiled them, can I then cool & freeze them before frying when I want to?

Which would be the best sausage stuffer to buy? I`ve got a mincer attachment on my kenwood but was thinking of getting a mincer come sausage stuffer.

I`m in a bit of a hurry as I of the pigs will be slaughtered on 1st December!
My 2 friends & myself each have a pig, they are here with me as I live in the country & have the space. It`s our first time but they`ve grown sooo big & we didn`t realise it would happen so quick :shock: We had planned to wait till Feb 08. They`ll be 21 wks old on 31 Nov.

So, 1 of my friends is doing her`s Dec & mine will follow shortly afterwards.

They`ll be shot & butchered here, so another question, how long do you hang them for? The people who are doing my friends pig wants to hang it from the Saturday to the Sunday when they`ll butcher it, what do you think?

Best tell you I live in Southern Spain :)

Sorry for length of post but got all kinds of questions now :shock:

Oh & I`ve also got Hughs pig in a day course oh & I also am qualified cook, many yrs ago tho :lol:

Thanks, any advice muchly appreciated :)
Christine
Registered Member

Postby Christine » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:38 am

Hi again folks, lots of views no advice??? :shock:

Anyway times running short, have to decide today cos I`ve got to order what I want so it`ll get here by end of Nov & you know what the post is like :roll:

I`m going to get a seperate stuffer & dig out my kenwood & use the mincer attachment from that, then just decide about casings etc :)

I forgot to ask, does anyone know how much blood approx. you get from a pig?
Christine
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:55 am

Hi Christine, I'm not surprised that people have not answered your post, you have asked a lot of questions, covering a wide spectrum. I'm not going to answer all of them, but I will answer what I can.

An example, you have asked 3 questions in the first paragraph... :shock: :D

Christine wrote:Do I have to use the blood the same day to make black pudding or can I put it in the fridge till the following day? And which casings would be the best to use?
Also, after I`ve made & boiled them, can I then cool & freeze them before frying when I want to?

Fresh blood from a pig, in my opinion, should be used as fresh as possible. If you leave it too long, it will congeal and go horrible.

The casing choice is yours, perhaps if you are going for natural casing consider, Ox runners. If artificial, perhaps black pudding skins, as shown
Here.

Christine wrote:Which would be the best sausage stuffer to buy? I`ve got a mincer attachment on my kenwood but was thinking of getting a mincer come sausage stuffer.

I think most of us caution against going out and buying a lot of equipment, until you know weather you will continue this activity. get some stuffing tubes for the kenwood first, and see how you go, I would advise. That's how I started.

Christine wrote:I forgot to ask, does anyone know how much blood approx. you get from a pig?

It may help to read Here.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Christine » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:27 am

Hi Oddley, yes I know, lots of questions, sorry :oops:

But as I explained with things moving faster than was planned I`m now having to get what I need & info sooner than I thought! This won`t be a 1 off tho that I`m sure about, we will have another piglet :)

So black pudding will be off the menu then cos I won`t have any fat. I`d like to have as much as natural as possible so I`ll look at the ox runners link & also your other links. At least that gives me a bit more time for those, just have to sort the mincers/stuffers now. I doubt very much whether they`ll have the stuffing tubes in stock so they`ll have to be orderd from UK. Am going out shortly so will pop in & see what they`ve got.

Thanks Oddley, much appreciated :)
Christine
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:14 am

Hi Christine,
Won't you get a supply of back fat off your pig for the black pudding? or do they only release the carcass to you at a later date? You could use lardons of fatty bacon instead or some chopped up belly pork if you can get that elsewhere. Or if you can get them to slice out the suet (loin and kidney fat) before hanging that would do the trick.

The chowhound site seems to be offline at the moment but I seem to remember Hugh's mate precariously balancing half a bucket full of blood on his lap in one of the River Cottage programmes.

You don't need a stuffer for black pudding, a funnel is just as good. If using a stuffer a vertical one is allegedly less messy than a horizontal one. (A Kenwood or any other grinder/stuffer would be a disaster for anything this runny.)

Which Kenwood/mincer do you have? as the stuffing tubes are different for each model.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Christine » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:57 am

Hi Saucisson, he`s going to be slaughtered & butchered here at home but because we`ve been adviced to hang the meat for a few days, we won`t be able to use the blood as it won`t be fresh when the butchering will be done & we can`t use it the day pf slaughter cos we haven`t any fat & I really really wanted them all home made :cry:

I`ve read about the funnel, I`ve got Hughs pig course, but I`ll need to order the casings & the stuffer from UK cos I want to make sausages too. I`ve got the kenwood chef, circa 1979/80 :shock: :lol: Got it out yestrday with mincer atachments but I don`t think theres any sausage stuffer with it??? & will try it out later see how it works! Should be fun, haven`t used it for about 5yrs :lol:
Christine
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:55 pm

It's probably a 920 with a 902 mincer, in which case you need stuffing tubes to suit the 902 as the current ones don't fit. The earlier 702 ones will fit with a bit of judicious sanding. Best bet is ebay, if you go this route, but by far the best solution is to go for a dedicated stuffer.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Christine » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:35 am

Hi Saucy, well it`s not working but think it needs a new plug, try it again later when its changed.

I`m getting a seperate stuffer, I`m sure you`re right its the best thing as it won`t be a 1 off :)

Will also buy some fat from the wholesaler I go to (it`d be a shame to not use the blood) they have loads over here cos they use it for everything.....well nearly everything :lol:

Thanks for your help :)
Christine
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies