Curing advice please

Curing advice please

Postby welsh wizard » Sun May 29, 2016 8:17 am

Out of interest, when you dry cure your salmon ready for smoking, do you keep the salmon in the fridge when its curing or out of the fridge? I only ask as out of the fridge it seems to cure much better (firmer) than in. The EH really don't seem t know what you can and cant do, their only advice is "put it in the fridge if your not sure", but then again they would have you keep salt in the fridge, in fact anything in the fridge if they had their way.

My logic tells me, if its curing (cooking in the salt) it should not need to be refrigerated, but I am interested in your views, or what you do

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Re: Curing advice please

Postby ComradeQ » Sun May 29, 2016 3:29 pm

My opinion ... if it is "curing" it is not "cured" and hence should be stored in the fridge. I would not risk leaving it out until it has been cured. And with cured and smoked salmon I still would not store it long term outside of the fridge (obviously for the time it takes to smoke or leave out on a platter at a party I would have no concern) I just don't see the sense in taking risks with my own or other people's health.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun May 29, 2016 10:39 pm

I'd fridge it. You can always dry post-smoking for firmness (in the fridge). Particularly if operating commercially as you are.

Cover your backside at every opportunity. :lol: :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Sun May 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Thanks both, of course I do fridge it but it makes you wonder when the famous "London"cure is a light covering of salt then left at room temperature, smoking is usually done way in excess of 5 degrees (highest recommend fridge holding temp) and held in that environment sometimes in excess of 12 hours when again we are told only to hold products out of a fridge for 4 hours before discarding it. I am also in constant amazement when I see sausage rolls and pork pies on farmers market stalls without any form of refrigeration at all..........rant over

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun May 29, 2016 11:27 pm

I hear what you're saying WW - and I agree with you and feel the same way about some operators on Farmers' Markets - but don't get me started on the problems with Farmers' Markets, I could go on for days!

Im also aware of, and use, the 'Forman's' method of smoking salmon - but not commercially. I guess the question is : "Can you do a haccp for it"? Could you defend it in court?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Fish curing