Instructions for a newby please

Instructions for a newby please

Postby georgebaker » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:32 pm

Hi
I got a table top smoker and some oak.

I want to smoke some cod roe and some trout fillet.

After I buy them what do I do? Do I need to salt cure before smoking? If I do, how long, what strength?

Thanks in advance

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:03 am

With a table top smoker, trout should just be patted dry with paper and seasoned well with salt, pepper and maybe some herbs, then smoked for about fifteen minutes (depends on the thickness of the filets: just open up the smoker and try the fish with a fork after 10 to see if it flakes). Wait until the smoke is going well before you put the fish in.
Cod roes are usually cold smoked, and I'm still building mine so I can't share any experience, but theres no reason why you couldn't try it. My guess would be to slice the roe thick (about 5-6cm) and remove the membrane, then season lightly and smoke for only 10-15 minutes. If it's too smoky then a covering of oil will reduce smoke penetration.
You might also want to blanche the whole roe first, then cool, slice and flavour it up in the smoke.
Just a few thought. :D
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:22 pm

Hi
Me again.

Had problems understanding the instructions with the smoker but cracked on anyway (after I bought the meths, in it self no easy thing round here).

I had problems getting the burners to light and looked at it a few times in the first hour and there was not not much going on. There was nothing cooked in the first 15 minutes. I left the smoker and it keep burning so just left it.

Got distracted with a Linux box so it was 3 hours or so before I got back to the smoker. Although I did the smoking in the conservatory as soon as my wife got home she detected the smell in the house.

Conclusions, all weights approx
120 gm oak in 100gm out some as charcoal out
150 gm trout in 130gm out (moist)
185 gm raw cod roe in 160gm out (firm and fairly dry)

steamed cod roe a little dry but not inedible

There is a strong after taste, not unpleasant, kind of vineous, the fish had a lemon'y taste

Thanks to every one who helped both on and off the board.

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi
done my second lot of cod roe.

Steamed a small pair of trousers and cooled them

Smoked them for about an hour with Oak but I don't know what kind

The outcome was slightly bitter until I removed the membrane and then they were fine

Just have a year to wait before I get another go I expect

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Return to Fish curing