Kippers...

Kippers...

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat May 27, 2006 6:09 am

In the very informative thread on All you need to know about kippers....
it states that the herring is gutted from the back and not the belly of the fish.

Now I am relying on memory but I am sure that all the kippers I have had have been gutted in the normal way because the dorsal fins I always remove with the main bone./

I usually take the fillets minus the skin and blitz them in the processor with a knob of butter to make a nice kipper pate to go on toast.....a nice way of getting your Omega 3 oils as a daily dose.....it keeps for a good week in the fridge.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Sat May 27, 2006 7:47 am

Definition from the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations:

"A kipper is a fat herring with guts and gills removed, split down the back from head to tail, lightly brined, dyed if desired, and cold smoked at an air temperature not higher than 30�C."

For more pictures click herehttp://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q=kippers

Maybe you are thinking of "Bloaters" which are traditionally whole fish.

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat May 27, 2006 7:59 am

Well they appear to be definitely split down the back....memory is a funny thing I was only looking at them in Tesco's a couple of days ago.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat May 27, 2006 9:46 am

Yep, kippers are split down the back on one side of the backbone and opened out. After brining they are hung in the smoke chamber on 'tenterhooks' for the smoking procedure. I love kippers, but much prefer bloaters, which are left whole and with guts in, as tristar suggests.. Haven't had a bloater for years.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat May 27, 2006 1:34 pm

Last time I had Yarmouth Bloater was in the sixties...........you could get them sent home in a box from Great Yarmouth and the trick was to order them the day before you were returning home off of holiday.

No doubt you can order them on line these days.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Sat May 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Kippers (herring).
Best from June-October, and thick and fatty.
Split the head and down one side of the spine. Remove the gut without damaging the belly wall, then remove the backbone.
With a 70% brine solution small fish 3 mins, medium 5 mins, and large 10-12 mins. Drip dry for 1 hour, and keep the sides apart.
Smoke at 30C/80F or below for 6-8 hours.
In the rest of Europe herring are normally hot smoked without prior brining which leaves them bland.
If cooked herring is required split the fish from anus to throat, and gut.
Wash thoroughly, and use a 80% brine solution, immerse them for 10 mins, and allow to drip dry. Cold smoke overnight. Raise the temperature slowly until the dorsal fin comes away, which should take about 45mins.
That's about it folks, now go and catch some.
This information comes by of Kate Walker of Innes Walker manufacturers of smokers and smokehouses.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:16 pm

What I need is a step bystep instruction after preparing the herrings for curing on the actual amount of cure and the length of time for a pair of herrings to transpose into smoked kippers.

So away you go....... from Fishmonger as herrings to Pan as Kippers.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:35 pm

Rik vonTrense wrote:What I need is a step bystep instruction after preparing the herrings for curing on the actual amount of cure and the length of time for a pair of herrings to transpose into smoked kippers.

So away you go....... from Fishmonger as herrings to Pan as Kippers.

I don't follow what you are asking. The brine is the cure.
BTW I forgot to add that the first of the seasons herring catch is in Scotland in June, then the shoals slowly move slowly south down the west coast reaching East Anglia in Oct/ Nov.
Once the herring becomes a kipper, either grill it, or pan fry.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:48 pm

Don't worry Rik, I understand what you're saying.

To make kippers, the split herring are brined (not cured) in a 70% brine solution for 15 minutes for medium-sized fat fish (large fish need 20-30 mins, spent fish only 10).

70 % brine is 2lb 4.5 oz of salt per gallon.

The fish are then air dried for one hour, and the cold smoked (cured) for 6 to 18 hours at a temperature between 80 and 85 f. This is the process that preserves (cures) the fish, the brine is just to increace the rate at which the fish take the smoke.

I don't know about using smoke powder, but I'd describe fish prepared this way as smoke flavoured, rather than kippered, and they would need an extra period of drying (just leave them uncovered in the fridge on a clean tea-towel) to get the right texture. Overnight would probably do it (and provide you with kippered milk, kippered cheese, kippered tomatos......).
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:58 pm

Maybe I have misunderstood somewhere along the line but I assumed you could cure kippers and smoke them in the same way as bacon....after all the flavour is much the same.

First I had no wish to put them in a brine bath ................
and secondly I do NOT have a smoker.

I thought I read that Jen had done some kippers this way and used the No 1 Cure and the smoke powder and vacu packed them for a few days and then washed and air dried them ready for the pan.........I suppose I was wrong.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:23 pm

Sorry I misunderstood Rik, but that's how to make kippers, brine bath and cold smoke and all.

I was just answering a question, and I did NOT know that you didn't have a smoker.
Last edited by Wohoki on Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:27 pm

Rik, I think what I did is best described as short cut kippers. They're not bad but not the real thing. Sausisson did the same process.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Extra to Porkers post, I like my kippers jugged: just put them in a jug and fill it up with boiling water, cover and leave for five to ten, then serve. They come out as tender as butter (and the house stays a little less kippery :D ) Next to that, I'd grill them as second choice (BBQ's are great for this, but only a cool, well-ashed one.)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:15 pm

Yes there are two completely separate processes here, Wohoki and Pokerpete describe the way to make real traditional kippers with a short dip in brine and a long slow cold smoke in a traditional smoker house.

Jenny and I adapted the way of dry curing bacon in the fridge with added smoke powder to avoid the use of brine baths and smoke houses. A period of drying after curing is then required.

In the same that the home dry cured "smoke flavoured" bacon is better than most shop bacon the kippers come out the same way, better than anything bought in the supermarket.

I air dried my kippers by sticking a rotisserie pole through their gills and hanging them over the kitchen sink overnight, with surprisingly little kipper smell in the kitchen.

Please ask if you would like more detailed instructions.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:29 pm

Yeth Pleath....

Did you use the normal amount of cure for the weight of the fish and how long did you bag them for before drying.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Next

Return to Fish curing