trout help

trout help

Postby Ian Wright » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:17 pm

I have just got 6 sides of trout and i would like to smoke them in the bradley smoker.
Can anyone give me recipe to hot smoke the fish.
The time they have to stay in the smoker and so on.
Ian Wright
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:58 pm

Ian

I've never used a Bradley so others could advise better, but try here for general fish smoking advice - I found it useful:

http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm

I believe that there is also a Bradley forum somewhere out there.

I'm sure that if you use the search facility to look at the smoking and fish curing sections that you will also find more info.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:22 am

Hi Ian

Go to the bradley website and look on their forum, it is more attuned to your questions.

The problem is you dont say if you want the fish hot smoked, cold smoked or what weight they are. Smoking is very often a personal taste and length of smoking in a Bradley depends on how smokey you like your end product. For example I smoke in a Bradley and a salmon side smoked for 3 hours is plenty enough for me but some people prefer an hour longer. Also some people prefer a wet cure rather than a dry cure - it is a matter of taste.

A simple recipe for you:

For a side of salmon approx 1.5kg:

Mix salt and brown sugar in the ratio of 3 parts salt to 1 part sugar. Spread a little on the surface the fish is going to rest on and then place the fish on there skin side down then cover the fish in salt and leave for 8 hours. Wash off the salt and dry for a couple of hours then cold smoke in the Bradley for 3 hours over the wood of your choice.

Hope that helps.........

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Fish curing