cold smoked salmon

cold smoked salmon

Postby oakley » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:56 pm

i have been curing my salmon at work for a while . Is there a reason why when i am carving the salmon sometimes the salmon slides away from the skin ? also at work i cure smoke any thing i want almost the perfect job learn with someone elses money so i have some pix to share but i cant work out how to post a pix
thanks
oakley
Registered Member

Postby Pork Pie Eyed Dolly » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:32 am

Salmon is very oily and just comes away from the skin; could it be that? I have no smoking experience though, I just cook a lot with whole sides of salmon (cold smoked, hot smoked and regular), so my advice is probably not helpful!

To post a photo, I think you'll need to host it on somewhere like Photobucket, then link to it using the [img]photo%20address[/img] tabs.
Pork Pie Eyed Dolly
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:26 pm

oakley

Is that hot or cold smoked salmon?

(There's a tutorial on posting photos here)

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

salmon

Postby oakley » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:30 pm

wheels wrote:oakley

Is that hot or cold smoked salmon?

(There's a tutorial on posting photos here)

Phil

it was cold smoked. I think i am not curing enough on the skin side i have two sides of salmon that i have cured for three days in the fridge i have added extra salt to the skin side we will c how it works.. I cant think of any other reason the salmon is fresh wild salmon
oakley
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:43 pm

Hi Oakley

I smoke a fair bit of salmon for my customers and as a general rule of thumb this is what I do re the cure........

into the item you are going to salt cure your salmon in, layer the bottom with a thin layer of salt. Place the fillet on top of the thin layer, skin side down. Then cover the flesh side with salt until completly covered. Leave for 8 hours and rinse off with cold water. Leave to dry and get sticky, this allows the pellicle to form which is basicialy what the smoke will stick to.

Smoke as needed.

I can honestly say I have never had flesh slip from the skin using this method.

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:54 pm

I've never had this problem either - I'm wondering whether the smoker is getting a bit hot and 'cooking' the salmon slightly?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby oakley » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:48 pm

wheels wrote:I've never had this problem either - I'm wondering whether the smoker is getting a bit hot and 'cooking' the salmon slightly?

Phil

i think your right maybe the smoker got to hot . i have the salmon on my menu at the moment and although i have small issues i have been very impressed. The 2 i smoked this week are hanging in the fridge and are looking realy good i add cumin corriander black pepper sugar and i lightly salt and leave on a rack in the fridge turning every day for 4 days i dont rinse the salmon i just place it on a perforated tray. I smoke wood chips in a pan with a lid. When there is lots of smoke i slip the salmon in put a weight on the top and put it in the walk in freezer. I then hang to dry in the fridge it has a great crust i am lucky enough to use wild scottish salmon all the way in the usa which makes my job a little bit easier. so you c it takes a lot of trouble shooting to get it right when you dont have the equiptment..........
oakley
Registered Member

Return to Fish curing