Help with pellicle formation please?

Help with pellicle formation please?

Postby clarep » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:06 am

Hi - I'm trying my first cold smoked salmon. Unfortunately, I had to be away the night I put it in the fridge for the pellicle to form. I was worried it wouldn't dry as all the info i've read says well ventilated & maybe use a fan. Well I used a fan with the fridge door open & now it looks too dry - is there anything I can do to ressurrect it or have I mucked it up completely?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
clare
Cheese is milk's leap toward immortality.
Clifton Fadiman (1904-1999)
clarep
Registered Member

Postby Batman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:12 pm

Did you by any chance weigh the salmon before it went into the fridge to dry? If so you can calculate the weight loss, mine is normally 6-9% but commercially it can be as much as 15%.

I doubt that you have dried it too much just overnight. The last side I dry cured felt very dry on the surface but was lovely and moist after smoking and resting. So I would go ahead and just smoke it and then enjoy.
TonyB

Visit my blog at www.batty.me.uk
Batman
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm with Tony (Batman) on this one. It should be OK. Fish does look very dry at this stage. The 15% figure he gives is also the minimum overall weight loss, after smoking, that commercial producers generally require for product stability and safety. My own, and other members, experience is that most of this will be achieved by the salting/drying rather than the smoking.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:02 pm

If after smoking you're worried it is too dry on the surface, wrap it in clingfilm, or better still vacpack it, and the moisture within the fish should re-equilibrate so some extent,

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Fish curing