mackes

mackes

Postby Ian Wright » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:46 pm

I have a bradly smoker. And getting a load of mackral can any one give me a good and easy way of smoking them what temp and how long to give them in the smoker
thanks.
Ian Wright
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:48 pm

Ian

I've never smoked mackeral - however you will find a post on it here:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... t=mackeral

There's also a link in that thread to another post on the subject.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Chuckwagon » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:37 am

Guys… I’m just a landlocked lubber from the desert, but I do know that mackerel is a prime culprit for scombroid (fish) poisoning if it is not handled properly. If I remember correctly, scombroid mackerel after only one day (unless it is cured) produces toxic histamines. My father loved mackerel when he lived on the coast. He would only eat the fish if the commercial fishermen immediately packed it in salt aboard their vessels before curing it later the same day. My ol’ friend Rytek Kutas came up with this recipe in 1965 while in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Brine Recipe:
1 gallon of water
3 ounces Prague Powder #1
1 ounce brown sugar
3 ounces uniodized salt
1 ounce crushed black pepper
1 ounce bay leaves

Four hours in strong brine. Drain them well and open them slightly to facilitate further draining. Dry the fish five hours in a smoker at 80°F. (27°C.) without smoke. Increase the smokehouse temperature to 220°F. (104° C.) and cook the fish two hours in dense smoke. I like alder wood for fish - its not as heavy as others.
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Return to Fish curing