Help! Trout too salty!

Help! Trout too salty!

Postby workhorse » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:17 pm

Ok, made some smoked trout yesterday, using a dry cure. The fillets were about 1 lb each, and I left them in the cure a little too long- 12 hours. Washed them off and soaked them for five minutes, then dried them and smoked them. They look absolutely beautiful, but way too salty. Is there anything I can do to salvage them? Can I soak them again, or would it ruin them? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
workhorse
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:05 pm

You need to draw the salt out somehow, soaking in extremely cold water may help, but it may re-hydrate them so you would need to treat them as uncured and eat immediately. Salt cod is normally soaked prior to using it but is then cooked, you may have to treat it like salt cod. Other ideas that I am making up on the spot are to pack them in rice to draw out moisture and salt, this could take a while though. How about packing them in sugar? you may end up with a very sweet less salty product which could taste completely divine or completely disgusting.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:19 pm

Maybe make Pâté with them? Cream and maybe cream-cheese should spread the salt around a bit.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Fish curing