liquid smoke

liquid smoke

Postby Phihsroy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 am

I would like to try and make some smoked salmon however I don’t have the ideal set up for it.
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried adding liquid smoke to their salmon cure and if that would give similar results to cold smoking.
Phihsroy
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:27 am

No! Not with fish, but with meat. I have a bündnerfleisch hanging right now that was marinated/cured for three weeks with addition of Liquid Smoke and it seems very promising. I was worried that the smoke flavor shouldn't penetrate the whole muscle, but it did.

I was thinking of trying this with salmon too, and you seem to have come up with the same idea. I'd go for it.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Re: liquid smoke

Postby wheels » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Phihsroy wrote:I would like to try and make some smoked salmon however I don’t have the ideal set up for it.
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried adding liquid smoke to their salmon cure and if that would give similar results to cold smoking.

I believe that the forum shop sells a cure for salmon that does similar - go for it!

Phil :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi Phishroy,
When you have cured your salmon with the liquid smoke addition, do let us know the results.
I have added liquid and/or powdered smoke as a trial to my biltong making effort but I found it not as good as the real smoke, there again, beef is different from salmon. It could be real good.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Return to Fish curing