How to make smoked bacon?

Postby senorkevin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Do I still need to cure the bacon first before hot smoking?
An Englishman living in México.
There'e not such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer!
senorkevin
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:50 pm

If you don't cure the meat, it will be barbecued pork, not bacon.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby senorkevin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:29 pm

How long do I need to cure it for?
senorkevin
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:58 pm

Instructions for curing bacon can be found here:
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby senorkevin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Thats my link!!!
So I still cure it for the same amount of time (7-10 days) but smoke it at the end?
senorkevin
Registered Member

Re: How to make smoked bacon?

Postby tomwal » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:46 am

senorkevin wrote:I would like to try and smoke a loin (without skin) but how?
Is the amount of cure # 1 the same? What is the curing time? etc etc etc
Also how do I make Canadian bacon or maple bacon?
Thanks

Hiya seneorkevin

Makin bacon, sometimes you have to experiment with flavours, as long as your cure is correct, you could try almost anything, within reason, maple bacon, I had several failures, tasty but not quite what I wanted, before I hit on my own recipe and method, it was quite simple and delicious, I used oddleys bacon cure, reduced the amount of sugar and replaced it with maple syrup, i used a facklemann meat tenderiser to pierce the loin all over, (not to deep) to allow the cure/syrup to penetrate, cured for the required time, removed from container, wiped dry then rubbed all over with a little more maple syrup, allowed to dry in fridge for several days, result lovely maple bacon. Canadian I'm not sure about, pumped with brine sounds a bit to like the way bacon is made commercially in the UK,I much prefer a dry cure, but then that's only my opinion.

Cheers

Wal
tomwal
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:51 pm

senorkevin wrote:Thats my link!!!
So I still cure it for the same amount of time (7-10 days) but smoke it at the end?

Yes.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby LM600 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Sorry, a little late to the party...but...what I do when I make back bacon is....

Ingredients :

Skinless, Boneless Pork Loin
Supracure (93.something salt, the rest is sodium nitrite)

Method :

Untie and rinse the pork loin joint then dry and weigh the meat.

Now I know the weight of the meat I weigh out the Supracure to 5% of cure to that of meat.
For example; 1000g meat I would use 50g of Supracure.

I then rub about a third of the Supracure into the meat, put into a tub and sling in the fridge overnight.

Next day, take out the tub and pour off whatever liquid is in it and rub in some more Supracure to the meat.

Repeat that last step until all the Supracure has been used up...this'll take about two or three days.

Leave in the tub in the fridge for at least seven days (for a pork loin joint weighing ~3kgs I usually go for about 14 days)

You now have "Green Bacon"....Well done, grab a beer!

I now soak the bacon in cold, fresh water overnight, changing the water every few hours whilst I'm awake - this is to leach some of the salt out.

Then it's dried off and put back in the fridge uncovered and on a rack to really dry it out and form the pellicle (this is the nice outside of the bacon that's going to get loads of smoke flavour).

OK, so now to smoke it!

I use a stainless steel sieve that I have pushed the middle up so it forms a circular channel.

I fill the channel with sawdust (hickory is my fave. for bacon) leaving a gap in the sawdust, so I have a start and a finish of sawdust.

I light the sawdust using a tealight and let it smoulder. (Remove tealight and blow out!)

This then goes into my upright smoker (Pro Q Excel 20) with the bacon sitting above it for 12hrs - I need to refill and relight the sieve once in this time.

Remove the bacon and sling back in the fridge for a day (in a covered tub). Then repeat the smoking process....I go 5x12hr smoking sessions, I like it smokey.

Slice and cook up :)

I have a Brinkmann Pro Charcoal Grill and I *believe* your Smoke'n'Grill is somewhat similar, in as much as it is more a grill than a smoker...lots of open holes and vents etc???

The beauty of using a cold smoke generator is that you can use it in pretty much any fairly well sealed container.....a sturdy cardboard box or an upturned tea crate etc,etc,etc.

Again, sorry for the late reply and also for the length of the reply, but hope it helps Mate.
LM600
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:50 pm

In the UK green bacon was bacon cured without nitrites/nitrates, just salt and flavourings I think?

Hence it did not have the red colour associated with"cured" bacon, it was very common in the midlands with the through (thru) cut, in which the rasher consisted of the loin (back) and Belly (streaky) in one piece, only ever watched it being sliced once and that was on a berkel manual slicer.

Regards Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:13 pm

Does the Supracure have an actual % breakdown of the nitrite and nitrate with it?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby LM600 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:33 pm

No, there is no breakdown of the percentages on the package. I have 94.75% salt with the rest being sodium nitrite in my mind BUT this maybe incorrect.
Weschenfelders site doesn't say either...I'm sure it used to.....
LM600
Registered Member

Postby LM600 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks Kimgary, if that's right then I've learnt something :)

I was under the impression that green bacon was unsmoked bacon....if the pork was only salted then it was salt pork???
LM600
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm

The Blessed Delia says it's unsmoked cured bacon.

:)

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:30 am

I'm sure that both can probably be proved to be true. Different customs, different areas etc. etc...

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:08 am

FWIW, the previous discussions about Supracure produced this:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... cure#51254

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing