first Smoke

first Smoke

Postby Coldcure » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:28 pm

We had the first of our cured bacon last night (thanks for the help wheels) and it is correct I will never buy bacon again :D

So took the advice of wheels and its been on the weber (cold smoking)since 10.30 this morning and still going strong.

It has got hazel nuts, Garlic, grinded Himalayan rock salt grinded black pepper and two cheeses to keep it company.

Anyone got any advice when its done its full smoke with the proq shall I smoke it through the night or leave it at that?

Trouble is I cant wait to eat it all :drool:
Coldcure
Registered Member

Re: first Smoke

Postby Coldcure » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Its still smoking :)
Coldcure
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Maybe I'm not the one to advise 'cos I tend to smoke for longer than others as my smoker has a faster throughput of smoke than most.

Bacon, I smoke for 25 - 30 hours over a 3 day period.

Cheese, I just do one run of the CSG.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Coldcure » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Just got It all out the cheese is beautiful, the hazel nuts are nice but a bit different the salt and pepper have a hint of smoke and seem fairly nice but alas where it rained today moister got in, it must have been through the top vent.

So the salt is damp and on inspection the garlic had a shine to it which was a bit like condensation but has took on some smoke.

The bacon looks fine but I think I will take the smoker to the greenhouse in the dry to finish it off.

The cheese seems to have more smoke at the bottom rather than it being distributed evenly is that because of the moister do you think?

Also there was a hard frost this morning which lingered for at least three hours into the smoke, would that affect the smoke too?
Coldcure
Registered Member

Postby ozzy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:06 pm

I usually cold smoke my bacon for 24 hours. I try to make enough to get me through the hot months. Like I said, I try.
ozzy
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:27 am

Can only comment with regards to my own procedure & use of a CSG.

Cheese, limit the size of each portion & turn periodically for better "cosmetics" & even smoke penetration, prior to resting & wrapping for maturation thereafter.

You got lucky (kind of) with the moisture, for your Him/rock salt, based on what we discussed on another thread in this section, a bit of moisture will help draw & lock in the crystalline salt form, however its a very slow uptake for this type of salt (not my knowledge, as regaled by a member (rod as I recall), worth reading.

Maldon salt take it far easier by comparison, (again on a thread).

moisture was possibly reaction between cold metal & the marginal increase of your cold smoker, worth getting accustomed to, did it trickle or was merely present within the chamber, there may be a slight smoke coloured moisture formation over your cheese, but I don't worry about that, it disappears as you turn it, & i've typically found it on softer cheeses such as brie when chucking them full smoke for 3 x sessions.

I'm an absolute new boy to Cold smoking on here, & have asked many questions, ..use the search box or scroll down this section to see what I mean, you may find a few answers that i've already pestered the good foum folk for :wink:

bashing a pic or two up then!?
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby Coldcure » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:10 pm

With the moister I could not really tell because when I got it all out it was lashing down with rain and the OH was holding the brolly over me and it was all done in a bit of a rush.

Thx for the advice Gus its my first time I did not think of turning the cheese.

I will try and put some pics up later.

Another thing I noticed was the colour of my hands today after eating the nuts in work I thought I had something wrong until I noticed what it was, the smoke colour was coming off the nuts :)
Coldcure
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Coldcure wrote:Another thing I noticed was the colour of my hands today after eating the nuts in work I thought I had something wrong until I noticed what it was, the smoke colour was coming off the nuts :)

I have to quit working late :( -- I miss read the above and read the following ..........

I thought I had something wrong until I noticed what it was, the smoke colour was coming off my nuts
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:53 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Coldcure » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Hehehe sorry.
Coldcure