Using a fan to aid sawdust smouldering

Re: Using a fan to aid sawdust smouldering

Postby GUS » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:13 pm

Had time to light one up?
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby Headbutchersouthwest » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:19 pm

GUS wrote:Had time to light one up?

Hi Gus ,

Sorry for very late reply...! :roll: I've been extremely busy at work and have also been on holiday .

As for the smoker , well we have conducted a few tests using different sawdust / chips etc & we have moved the exhaust flue so it's shorter but it isn't upright as yet!
There seems to be good air flow running thru the smoker, one problem I have see is that there seems to be a lot of blow back IE the smoke comes out of the cold smoke box air intake vents ...?
Why this is I don't know :roll: we are also still using the heating element on short bursts to aid the smouldering of the dust . I've contacted Beelonia on several occasions to ask for advice etc and they haven't replied once. I would pay for someone who lives relatively close to our depot to come in and take a look and sort it out as it's wearing me down :cry:
Headbutchersouthwest
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:18 am

I think all the solutions to get this flying have already been covered, smoke needs to exit, by having it hanging around with anything other than a straight exit you are losing out, & the acrid nature of smoke molecules will taint goods.

the error would in all likelihood have been in the original sideways chimney.
until this is corrected you are incurring (i'd guess) backdraught.

short flues tend to slow progress & strength of draw, thus exit.

straight & true = vortex
vortex = draw
draw = strong ability to pass smoke from entry to exit.
draw will assist with throughflow of air from air intake.
=improved burn of fuel source.

The whole thing is a cycle you have to comply with.
why are they not returning your calls / emails.
This is costing you money having it sit idle, so you need to butter them up & coax em out, ask them to bring a burn sample of their recommended sawdust & their regional salesguy with experience of the smoker.

worth a tastey bribe to get this devil off your back & operational.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby Headbutchersouthwest » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Gus ,

I have now shortened the exhaust flue & is now vertical and approx 1m long thru the roof / ceiling of our prep room.
We did a test run to see if it was any better and the dust smouldered for about 10 mins and died out ,so we are now looking at shortening the inlet pipe between the outside smoke box and the main smoker as that pipe is approx 1.2m long and has a very slight kink and downwards bend . I'm also curious to find out if the door on the outside smoke box needs more air holes because the dust seems to smoulder better when the door is wide open , I'm looking at doing a video which I will post on here for you to view
Headbutchersouthwest
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:40 am

Don't drill into the door, any adjustments may easily throw you beyond warranty operational standards if you ever go down a legal road.

A vented door hood can easily be made to experiment with, wheras drilling holes in a door might mean you need a door replaced.

cardboard & aluminium insulation tape (for phenolic boards) are your cheap material friend for bodging prior to working out a calibration requirement, as could be some tin foil shaped to fit as a vented hood to allow a proportionate amount of extra air in for a burn.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

GUS
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:02 pm

I don't know whether it'll help, but I've emailed the head office of Beelonia in Germany to draw their attention to this thread.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Headbutchersouthwest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:23 pm

wheels wrote:I don't know whether it'll help, but I've emailed the head office of Beelonia in Germany to draw their attention to this thread.

Phil

Hi Phil ,

Thank you so much for emailing them! they have finally emailed me to say they will sort my problem out. :D

Michael @ Beelonia is going to send me a new outside smoke box that cures problems with the air flow , the new box contains a small fan & tube that aids air flow & the smouldering of the sawdust . Michael said they have tested it and it works flawlessly when air flow is a problem . I really can't wait & I can't thank everyone enough that has chimed in on this post to help over the past few months! Hopefully this new set up will work & we can start smoking our products without any hitches very soon
Headbutchersouthwest
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:32 pm

Thanks,

Credit to Gus though.

He's the guy that's stuck with it through 'thick and thin'.

It's just that I know that there's more than one way to skin a cat!

I hope they step up to the mark and ensure that you get a product to do what you've paid for.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ped » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:43 am

Well done Phil
ped
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:23 pm

Glad there is movement from the horses mouth.

Well done wheels, masterstroke on your part.

May I humbly recommend that despite problems encountered, raised temperatures (outside of the smoke chamber), you wipe the slate & build on the relationship with your distributor, the ideal is no more trouble, & lots of smoked goods, you need to recoup your costs & get into your production.. :drool:

I would, ask for a confirmation on the situation with this new part!? & keep the engineer around for a decent test burn, (with his name & mobile number obviously).

Utimately these are the guys who know their machine, ..i'm just annoyed that if there was a batch fault in engineered production pieces its taken this time to come clean.

Pick your guys brain while he's fitting the door & signing all aspects of the installation off, get an honest appraisal to save more teeth gnashing later.

Happy to hear resolution is at hand.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

GUS
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:28 pm

+1 on that Gus.

Phil :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Headbutchersouthwest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:57 pm

wheels wrote:Thanks,

Credit to Gus though.

He's the guy that's stuck with it through 'thick and thin'.

It's just that I know that there's more than one way to skin a cat!

I hope they step up to the mark and ensure that you get a product to do what you've paid for.

Phil

Phil you are correct that Gus has been a fantastic help & I should give credit to him for sticking with me on this one & posting his views & knowledge to help me threw my troubles but hopefully this newer smoke box will do the trick :?

I will of course keep everyone well informed with the out come
Headbutchersouthwest
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:29 pm

Fingers crossed!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby GUS » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:43 pm

nah, I just pop in a lot.

I felt miserable that an investment in yr business could not be utilised since last summer, & thought that you must be getting it in the ear as a "sore talking point" expensive investment whilst it was down.

Now, we expect to see much more of you with deli pictures being posted.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

GUS
Registered Member

Postby Headbutchersouthwest » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:22 pm

Well we are now a few weeks on from contact with beelonia and after exchanging 2 or 3 emails with Michael (who said he was waiting for parts to arrive 2weeks ago) we are still waiting for something to arrive :(
I'm abit gutted as I'm currently curing 100kg or more of bacon that I'm wanting to smoke but hopefully we will have or here something this week.
Headbutchersouthwest
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing