A-Maze-N Pellet/Sawdust Smoker

A-Maze-N Pellet/Sawdust Smoker

Postby ericrice » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:04 pm

Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread. I have a smokintex and looking to cold smoke some salami's - really would like to keep any heat to very minimal and got one of the a-maze-n smokers. Given the very low oxygen level in the tex I struggle to keep it smoldering for any length of time. I have read elsewhere suggestions on enlarging the drain hole or drilling some new ones but I'm hesitant I'll sacrifice he performance of the tex for the purpose it designed for (and what I use it most for), hot smoking. Any owners ran into this problem? Any advice?
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: A-Maze-N Pellet/Sawdust Smoker

Postby NCPaul » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:41 pm

I would be hesitant to drill holes in the smokintex as well. I usually run the a-Maze-N sawdust in my Weber grill, is that a possibility? If not, I would look into making a smoker from a cardboard box instead.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:02 am

I've no experience of your hot smoker, but the cold smokers like you have can be used in the simplest of containers.

Like NCPaul I'd just use a cardboard box, or similar.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:13 am

Eric,
I also don't think it's a good idea to enlarge the hole.

I recently bought a Smokin-It Model 1 and Model 4, they're very much like the Smokin-Tex.
I've heard that the A-Maze-N sawdust smokers (the small original ones) will work okay in these low oxygen smokers...it's the larger pellet/sawdust smokers and the pellet tubes that have the problem.

I have all three types of A-Maze-N smoke generators and I'll be doing some experiments soon.
I've heard that the pellet smokers will work when the James Jerky Dryer is used on the Smokin-It because it pulls air through the smoker.....I have one on the way so we'll see!!!!

Smokin-It Model 1: http://www.smokin-it.com/Smoker_p/smkmdl1.htm
Smokin-It Model 4: http://www.smokin-it.com/product_p/smkmdl4.htm
James Jerky Dryer: http://www.smokin-it.com/product_p/jjd-1.htm

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:28 am

I have an AMNPS, and am building a cold smoker. I have a hot smoker. I wouldn't dream of modifying it for something it wasn't designed for. Your hot smoker is designed for hot smoking. Cold smoking is different. NCPaul has some good advice.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby GUS » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:50 am

cardboard & tape smoke seal round the top & side of the door cracked open to regulate some air flow, some more on the bottom in removable strips to find out what the most effective amount of air required for a burn is, then you can get something machined if need be, fruit boxes from supermarkets are typically triple wall reinforced for strength & rigidity, get a craft knife into one of those & some carpet tape / duct tape, the tri-wall card will also aid insulation properties.

drilling into your lovely cabinet is a definite no no & may result in patchy thermal temp regulation long term resulting in poorly smoked / cooked hot product, think how it would look on a thermal imaging camera before & after, risky & hard if not impossible to put back to rights!

#rod for your back ..you'd then need to place a new thermal curtain round the unit to compensate, (a cabinet within a cabinet), best to work with an existing opening & re-format it for multi-purpose use.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:57 am

Also remember that the A-Maze-N smoker does get hot and will need to rest on something other than cardboard.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby ericrice » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Okay, a follow up to this....and thanks to all for your comments!!

For anyone else in a similar situation I read many suggestions from others, including the creator that they had success microwaving the pellets for a minute or so as it removed an excess water. I tried that last night and the only other modification I made was removing the drip pan as it sits close to the drip hole and placed it on the ground in hope additional airflow would get in there. Removed the wood box from the tex, slid the maze right under the elements, centered over the drip hole. Worked like a charm and I got a great burn for over 6 hours. Now if all goes well I'll try my first cold smoked capicolla in a few months - wild card there is I hope I didn't create case hardening in the process. The smokin tex and others like it tend to create a very moist environment for cooking so I deceded to give it a go....
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Presumed you had already done that.

Good simple ending then with no hard work, regardless of whether it looks dry I always microwave my smoker dust when mixing up a batch, it's too late when you've already lit the thing, simply put, make it part of the standard preparation procedure.
..good result, & the smoker remains intact.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:14 pm

Glad it worked for you without modifying your hot smoker!
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing