Mac's BBQ, ...The "Artisan" CSG, ..first look in the flesh

Re: Mac's BBQ, ...The "Artisan" CSG, ..first look in the fle

Postby GUS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Guess that has a good inch of caked smoke residue on it by now? ...pre-loved, pre-seasoned

(as well as a cracked plastic door trim)
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:11 pm

Nah, I don't do that much nowadays. There's only me and Pauline at home now - and she's not keen on smoked foods.

The garden's still (2 years or so on) a work in progress, so access isn't that easy for me, otherwise I'd use it a lot more for 'Low and Slow' cooking.

Here it is though:

All but the door is stainless.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby GUS » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:07 pm

GUS wrote:Guess that has a good inch of caked smoke residue on it by now? ...pre-loved, pre-seasoned

(as well as a cracked plastic door trim)

I meant, WW's ...I bet it is a wonderful melange of brown inside! & the plastic trim was a problem synonymous with the bradley.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:23 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Never mind, it gave me a chance to show mine off!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby slemps » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:11 pm

I agree with your points about the Bradley. Harsh tasting with the pucks.

However I don't think it's the binder they use. I think it's the amount of smoke it generates.

The key to that nice smooth smoke flavour (in hot and cold smoking) is little smoke for a long time.

For cold smoking for example, I get a much better result from using a Pro Q CSG (small size) in the Bradley than the pucks. Welsh Wizard, I don't think you need the large version.

Wheels, that smoker looks awesome. Would love to stumble upon a stainless box like that! Can we see inside?

Sam.
slemps
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm

You are correct that a little smoke for a long time is the way to go when cold smoking.

The inside of my smoker:

It needs a good clean!
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby slemps » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:24 am

That looks amazing wheels. Loads of room in there.

So is all the burning done in the pan at the bottom?

Is that a layer of stones above it to help spread the smoke and help regulate the temperature?

I've got a couple of oil drums sitting in my garden at the moment, just waiting for some free time to build a UDS.

Sam.
slemps
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks. For cold smoking I just put the CSG in the bottom. The pot is for hot smoking. There's a sort of 'false chamber' under the metal plate - 90% of the bottom of the box is cut away. The gas burner sits in this area. I did this so that if the flame goes out the box can't fill with gas. It's not the ideal safety provision - I would go for an electric burner if doing it again.

The pebbles are to dissipate the smoke; whilst this works well, it's messy. I may change it to some form of cowl over the pot.

...but I change my mind as to what would be best every-time I use it. :lol: :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby slemps » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:25 pm

wheels wrote:The pebbles are to dissipate the smoke; whilst this works well, it's messy. I may change it to some form of cowl over the pot.

...but I change my mind as to what would be best every-time I use it. :lol: :lol:

Phil

Ha ha, yes I know what you mean. There's always a way of improving!

I like the pebbles, it's a good idea. I can imagine they are messy but you don't really need to touch them often do you?

My barrels will become hot smokers, I like the idea of the minimal tending you can achieve with them.

S.
slemps
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:50 pm

I believe that the UDS, when mastered, can give a good steady heat over long periods with little attention. I went for the cabinet as I felt that it would be better for smoking luncheon meats and hot dogs at temps below 80°C.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi Slemps

The only reason I need the larger CSG is because I want a longer smoke without having to go out and refilling the smoker every 9 hours or so. Long smoking is not a problem in the winter but in the summer I need to get stuff in and out PDQ minimising the risk of bacterial growth. You can load your smoker with ice blocks but this is only effective for a short time and as I smoke overnight I don't think the wife would see the funny side of me kicking her out of bed to go and replace them! No sense of adventure some people...........
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby slemps » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:01 am

welsh wizard wrote:No sense of adventure some people...........

:D Does she not realise that the food won't smoke itself! I didn't realise the larger CSG was longer.I thought it just released more smoke so I get it now.

What temperature do you consider your maximum inside your smoker in the summer? I see lots of talk of 24-26 C but I find that too much. Ideally I aim for around 16.

wheels wrote:I believe that the UDS, when mastered, can give a good steady heat over long periods with little attention.

That's what I'm hoping for. It would mainly be for ribs and occasionally pulled pork so I'm looking for tight control over 5-10 hours. If you get good seals on everything it seems possible.

Sam.
slemps
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Cooler the better! I personally like no hotter than a night temperature of 15 but evidently it is safe at higher temperatures.

cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:46 pm

IIRC, Erlandson, the author of 'Home Smoking and Curing' favoured around 24 - 25°C.

As a maximum I'd say 30°C, but tend not to use my smoker if it's anywhere near that hot.

Like WW, I often smoke overnight. I rest the product in the fridge during the day.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:43 am

wheels wrote:IIRC, Erlandson, the author of 'Home Smoking and Curing' favoured around 24 - 25°C.

Phil

I know its a bit 'off topic' but I called at Keith Erlandson's house in the 90's with a friend to have his bitch served by a Springer spaniel called Courtman Lane. Erlandson was a big name in the gundog world and wrote some quite informative books on the subject. Although I wasn't into smoking at the time (but I was aware of his book, so I must have been ?) we discussed the merits of smoking Pheasant breasts and he showed me how his smoker worked. I'm sure I've lived a previous life :shock:

Small world......
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing