cleaning the CSG

Re: cleaning the CSG

Postby NCPaul » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:33 pm

Glad you're on the mend, the PT will take some time Jenny. At least you gained a sausage maker. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:53 pm

Great to have you back Jenny.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks Jenny, I'l pick up a tub next time I'm shopping. Glad your shoulder is getting better.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 am

Hi Jenny

Good to hear from you again! I spent some time in the wilderness but this forum is a bit like riding a bike, you never forget...................

Keep on keeping on............Mark.
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby slemps » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:54 pm

GUS wrote:Blowtorch NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The temperature far exceeds that of the solders intended capability which is in numerous places for your CSG, ..will melt, & leave you a pool in seconds, & you will likely also knacker chroming & simply unseat more of the wire mesh in the short term!

I think the CSG is welded (and as someone else pointed out, is stainless) . Trust me, it works just fine.

I used to use my CSGs every week (3 of them) and I used the blowtorch method to keep them burning correctly. They can take A LOT of heat. I burn all of the carbon off and it just flakes off. Ive not had any mesh come away from the frame from this.

I'd say I probably did this four or five times a year per unit. Saves a lot of time...

S.
slemps
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Anyone tried 'Oven Pride' cleaner, retails between £3.00 - £4.00 depending on which store you buy it. Not for every day use but comes with a bag to put all the oven shelves in etc. then give it time to work and will come out as new. Not tried it on the csg but the burnt on carbon just peels off the metal racks. Its quite caustic so gloves should be worn when handling it.

Here's a link to youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HqCIx1HQjY
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:41 pm

So I tried some "oxy" stuff yesterday, soaked then scrubbed, ...not much point, beyond a typical loosening of what you'd expect to come off in hot water anyway the results were "that was a waste of time"

soaked in butler sink for 12+ hours (an overnight soak) then the same brush as usual, may as well just have got dirty & used the usual scrubber.

(2x scoops of oxy).

Bah :cry:
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:05 pm

I forgot, whilst strong this duration of soak was perhaps not advisable due to "perhaps" the cause of rusty orangeness in key places, perhaps not, the gunk was rust coloured & stained both the frame & mesh in deep corners.

I did spend the usual 10 mins or so (after a towel dry followed by an oven drying session) scraping a flat blade mini screwdriver along the mesh, that cleaned up as I'd expect.

did I make the solution too weak!? ..can't tell, however it was what i'd put in a washing drum with alot more water going through, so we'll try again shorter & stronger than 2 scoops.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby slemps » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:19 am

yotmon wrote:Anyone tried 'Oven Pride' cleaner, retails between £3.00 - £4.00 depending on which store you buy it. Not for every day use but comes with a bag to put all the oven shelves in etc.

At first I thought that this would be dodgy in case it left any residue on the Pro Q (and then created nasty fumes while smoking) but then I remembered it is for ovens anyway so must be safe! Duh.

I've used it before on my oven and it is very, very good. You can smell it for a while when you first heat up the oven though. I'd probably want to do a burn in the Pro Q after cleaning to get rid of that.

S.
slemps
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:21 pm

Bought the wife a Kratcher steam cleaner for Christmas, yes she did want one, and WOW try that to clean your CSG................stunning...........

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing