Bacon, Bacon, and even more Bacon

Bacon, Bacon, and even more Bacon

Postby ahm Fae glasgow » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 pm

Ok everyone, here is my latest adventure in the world of bacon. I have managed by some miracle ( I think praying helped ) to make 5 different types of bacon using dry cure methods. I used pork loin rib end cuts to make the so called Canadian bacon. The results are as follows: Maple bacon, Maple & Jalapeno, Southern style, Jalapeno & Lime, and Habanero. My next batch is to try Maple & crushed black pepper as well as a Pumpkin spice. To date all have been cold smoked using Apple wood, and have been a tremendous hit with both family & friends. To be very honest, one person requested I make 1Kg of each for them, because they had never tried anything like it before and are completely unavailable, and don't exist in stores. I want to expand on these and would love to hear from any of you have tried other flavors that have been a hit.
I'm Too cheap to buy store made sausages, but spent way too much on equipment.
ahm Fae glasgow
Registered Member

Re: Bacon, Bacon, and even more Bacon

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Coffee is a popular, often with chilli. Spirits of various kinds - with rum seeming to be popular. One that looked interesting to me was marmalade. Maple is often featured, but let's not forget honey.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ahm Fae glasgow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 pm

wheels wrote:Coffee is a popular, often with chilli. Spirits of various kinds - with rum seeming to be popular. One that looked interesting to me was marmalade. Maple is often featured, but let's not forget honey.

HTH

Phil

Thanks Phil , I managed to do 3 since the above post. Maple Syrup with crushed black peppercorns, Dill pickle and finally a coffee rub. The marmalade sounds interesting. Any idea of how the Rum is used? I'd be interested in how and when it is applied.
ahm Fae glasgow
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 pm

I do a vanilla/bourbon bacon that I enjoy immensely... I have adapted it more recently to the following ratios:

The Vanilla/Bourbon syrup is as follows:

1. 1.5 cups bourbon - Lit it on fire in a big pan and burned it until most of the alcohol had burned away and the flames extinguished. 
2. Added a cup of vanilla sugar (several cups of white sugar with at least two fresh vanilla beans - I throw all my "used" beans in as well, never wasting - scraped in and left to sit for a few weeks to infuse the flavour) and a good splash of maple syrup. 
3. Reduced on med/low heat until thick and syrupy and then poured out to cool.

Then I follow ratio below for the bacon cure:

2.2% Salt
0.8% Sugar
0.25% Cure #1

Per 1000g I add 50ml of the syrup. I think I have shared my first version of this but I have since adapted it. I bet you could do something similar but replace the bourbon with a good dark rum.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ahm Fae glasgow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:45 pm

So to confirm, you add the syrup mixture at the same time as you are curing? Did you adjust the cure time or did you simply follow the 2 day per inch rule as usual for a dry cure
ahm Fae glasgow
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:42 pm

ahm Fae glasgow wrote:So to confirm, you add the syrup mixture at the same time as you are curing? Did you adjust the cure time or did you simply follow the 2 day per inch rule as usual for a dry cure

I used to rub the meat, add it to the bag and then add the syrup and vac seal. Last time I did it I cured the meat for 5 days after rubbing then added the syrup and cured for another 7 days. I have always wanted to dry turning the syrup into a powder that could be rubbed on during the dry cure stage but alas I lack a food dehydrator so have never followed through.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ahm Fae glasgow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:03 pm

So here's a thought , if you wanted a rub ( when you can't dehydrate. ) how about replacing the Maple syrup with Maple sugar, and instead of Rum that you have to burn off, try using Rum essence and reduce the liquid state substantially. I figure between the Vanilla and the Maple sugar the absorption rate would be pretty good. How about finishing it off in the oven at a low temp from that point instead of a dehydrator which you don't have. I think that would dry off the vanilla bean as well if you diced it real small.
ahm Fae glasgow
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing