Smoking advice for a tower block dweller.

Smoking advice for a tower block dweller.

Postby Haggis Aelthric » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:48 pm

Hi there, I now live in a flat (Apartment) in a tower block, when I lived in a house with a garden I made my own sausages and had the open space (Should I have chosen to) to have a smoker to smoke the sausages, now I am stuck in a tower block with no open space to put a smoker and I am afraid to run a smoker in the building in light of the Grenfell Tower tragedy so I would very much appreciate any advice on how I can achieve a true smokiness for my sausages that is safe to do indoors.

I apologise if this seems stupid to you good people but I have tried the dry smoke powder option and it didn't achieve the effect I wanted, I am trying to reproduce the taste of a dried smoked fermented sausage I ate in Slovenia and the hickory smoke powder is not the right taste for this sausage.

Thank you in anticipation.

Aelthric :)
Haggis Aelthric
Registered Member

Re: Smoking advice for a tower block dweller.

Postby NCPaul » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:13 pm

I would consider something like this:

https://proqsmokers.co.uk/collections/c ... smoker-box

It could be homemade but should be able to fold up and be portable. You could then take it to an unoccupied area like a park and give the sausages a good cold smoke. I prefer cold smoking at 50-60 F for several hours at a minimum. You could then poach the sausages at 160 F to finish them.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Haggis Aelthric » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:15 am

Thank you for the suggestion, I will consider this option :D
Haggis Aelthric
Registered Member

Postby Haggis Aelthric » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:38 pm

Has anyone had any experience of powdered or liquid smoke additives, I intend to make some dried sausage that does not need cooking (Similar to Salamini) but with a smoked flavour, luckily I live in Scotland so there are plenty of area's where I could set up a portable smoker but unfortunately I no longer drive after several heart attacks and I suffer blackouts so those area's are inaccessible to me now hence the request for advice for being able to smoke the sausage in some way that does not endanger the other residents of my tower block or stink them out... :D

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this. :D

Haggis Aelthric...
Haggis Aelthric
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:33 pm

Perhaps you can get the flavor you want using a smoked Spanish paprika; they usually come in mild and hot options.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:50 am

The commercial suppliers do a bacon cure that's used by many butchers that has smoke powder in it. It's OK as far as it goes. I'd go with smoked paprika first though as NCPaul suggests.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Haggis Aelthric » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:27 pm

Thank you NCPaul and Wheels I will try these on small batches first and hopefully they will give the flavour I am looking for without the need for a smoker which will likely stink the apartment out even when just stored.

Thanks guys :D
Haggis Aelthric
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:03 pm

Smoke powder is available from sausagemaking.org if that doesn't work out.
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing