Salmon storage

Salmon storage

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:52 pm

Hi all.

Simple question: Took salmon out of freezer, brined and cold smoked it in the usual way - can I now refreeze?

Cheers WW.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:37 pm

Did you ever get any answer to your salmon freezing question ?

If you get frozen produce from your freezer and prepare and cook it then when it cools you can safely freeze that .

Theory is that the cooking destroys any pathogens and you are starting afresh and the actual texture is not affected by refreezing because the preparation and cooking has changed the texture anyway.

There is little danger if an item is thawed (but not exposed to high temperatures) and it is refrozen as with meat it only deteriorates as far as the texture and quality that is of course providing the stuff hasn't been exposed to pathogens. There are lots of things that you can refreeze with no danger whatsoever like doughs, pastries, cereals that are uncooked.

If the item is frozen in the first place when it is in an absolute fresh condition then the danger is minimal but the older the item before it is first frozen, the more risk there is as it is already deteriorating.

It becomes risky when you do not know it's previous history.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:48 pm

Hi RvT

Many thanks for the rely and no apart from you little has come forth. I froze one side of salmon and am eating it as we speak with no ill effects so as long as I dont have a funny turn in the morning and I can get to the VP's day tomorrow (rugby) I should be OK. However if I do tend to talk to god on the multi coloured telephone tomorrow I am sure it will be the salmon and not the beer!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:16 pm

Hi
more than once I have been in that condition. I put it down to a bad bag of crisps

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing