Bradley Smoker

Bradley Smoker

Postby Gill » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:43 am

I'm interested in buying a Bradley Smoker, but living in a residential area I'm worried about the amount of smoke that might escape from it. Is smoke discharge a problem?

Also, is this machine to be used indoors or outdoors? I've got quite a nicely appointed lean-to on the side of my house and I was wondering about siting it there.

Gill
Gill
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:51 am

I wouldn't worry too much about smoke emissions; the whole point of smokers is to keep the smoke contained and in contact with the meat rather than releasing it into the atmosphere.
There is a small amount of smoke discharge though from any smoker so I would only use it indoors with good ventilation or an extractor fan.
Your lean-to sounds like an ideal place.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Gill » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:56 am

Thanks, Spuddy :) . That's the way I'll go, then.

Gill
Gill
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:30 am

I was concerned about the nusiance possed by smoke, but my smoker actually smells stronger when it's not running and the lid is off than it does when it's running. One of my neibours only knew I had a smoker when I dropped off some smoked duck to thank her for not complaining.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:06 pm

Hi Gill

Re Bradley:

Yes it does smoke but not a huge amount and I have had no one complain about it yet! Ref inside or out - personally I think it is very much an outside bit of kit unless you are, as you suggusted putting it under a lean-to.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Flawed » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:57 pm

I've recently bought one of these and live in a residential area and there isn't much smoke at all - it depends where you position it really and how much the top slot is opened. Don't be worried it's nothing like the amount a bbq can smoke when you light it or a bonfire.

I wouldn't keep in indoors though.

If you are near sounth london (wimbledon) please feel free to pop round and you can see how much smoke for yourself.
Striving for cooking excellence like a moth beating itself to death on light bulb
Flawed
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:06 am

Never had complaints from neighbors. Had a comment once when I was smoking with mesquite.

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby Gill » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:30 am

Many thanks for all the help.

I live just south of Birmingham, so Wimbledon's a bit out of my way, but thanks for the invitation. Someone who lives a little closer has also invited me to view his Bradley, which will be helpful, plus I've been invited to view a Brooks smoker too.

I'm a bit concerned that a Brooks smoker won't be as versatile as a Bradley, nor will the smoke containment be as efficient. Althought the vendor has invited me to view one, he isn't prepared to fire one up for me to see it in action. That's why I'm definitely inclining towards the Bradley.

Gill
Gill
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:29 pm

When I was perusing Bradleys site, I noticed that although there were many types of wood briquettes, but I couldn't see any oak or beech.
Did I miss something, or don't they do them?
Would it be possible to make your own?

Thanks.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:40 pm

HI PP

They do sell Oak, but sometimes they run out of them as they are very popular (dont know why).

Ref making your own, I dont know anyone who has tried it but I think this would be very difficult ( well it would be for me), you would have to effectivly stick the shavings together or compress them in such a way they would not dissapate during the smoking.

If any one knows how to do this I would love to know because I can get as much oak chip as I want.

cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:22 pm

For any that didn't see it at the time there was some discussion of the subject here:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... =bisquette

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby pokerpete » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:48 pm

Gill wrote:Many thanks for all the help.

I live just south of Birmingham, so Wimbledon's a bit out of my way, but thanks for the invitation. Someone who lives a little closer has also invited me to view his Bradley, which will be helpful, plus I've been invited to view a Brooks smoker too.

I'm a bit concerned that a Brooks smoker won't be as versatile as a Bradley, nor will the smoke containment be as efficient. Althought the vendor has invited me to view one, he isn't prepared to fire one up for me to see it in action. That's why I'm definitely inclining towards the Bradley.

Gill

That would put me off, not having a demo model. When selling tangible things the key phrase is 'Demonstrate to Celebrate'.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:06 pm

We never had a complaint and we use our Bradley all summer outside and just pop him back in the garage when not in use. You hardly notice it in your own garden, neighbours cant have smelt anything as they would have invited themselves around before now.
Cant say I notice that much between the woods tho' as we always use highly flavoured foods in the smoker.
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:04 am

I spoke to Seph the other day about the new digital bradleys. Apparently they are not in this country yet due to some EU approval requirement.

Has anyone any ideas on these?

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:07 am

I wouldnt wait for them, the current ones have a temp control slider on the front with thermometer in middle of door, this is a good guide and then when we do larger joints of meat in it use individual meat thermometers to get it right, we got a couple off ebay to use and have had no problems.
Wilf
Registered Member

Next

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing