New smoker from an old freezer

Postby pokerpete » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:43 pm

dougal wrote:
pokerpete wrote: There is a possibility that the crimped pipe was never used anyway on that application. I've seen it many times on compressors.
Yes indeedey.
If its just a single pipe 'end' that has been crimped, is most probably the original factory fill point - not exactly designed for mainenance or refilling, eh?
But if you've got two ends that look as though they once joined up, well that'd sound more like damage...

I've had a little think about it, and it's possible that now crimped pipe was used to pressure test the units piping and joints for leaks before charging it with refrigerents.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:30 pm

On my one and only tour of a refrigerator factory (UK, late 1978 :roll: ) I remember being surprised that they used this seemingly crude technique of crimping and rolling to seal the system after filling.
dougal
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:47 pm

Well I will take a closer look at the back of the machine and see what's what. Maybe I should plug it in and see if it in fact does work. Stranger things have happened...

...like when I was offering to give away an old pick-up truck that didn't work on that Freecycle.org website. Some electrical problem. Got several responses, one said he'd be by tomorrow to get it. I told him to come prepared to tow it away. I thought I'd make sure the battery was charged, so when they went to work on it they could have a way to check their progress. Next morning, on a lark, I put the key in and it started right up, so when they arrived to take it, they happily drove it away. Funny, charged the battery a month before, but it didn't start then. Just as well I got rid of it.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:47 pm

dougal wrote:On my one and only tour of a refrigerator factory (UK, late 1978 :roll: ) I remember being surprised that they used this seemingly crude technique of crimping and rolling to seal the system after filling.

This is possible of course highly likely in small integrated compressor units on an application. In that case have a look for a 'gassing up' valve.
This type of attitude would not be tolerated on a larger piece of plant.
I must have a word with my nephew, he can go as small as a bar bottle cooler, and as large as a ship.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing