Portable Barbecues

Portable Barbecues

Postby Fatman » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:58 am

Yesterday, I attended the John Masefield High School in Ledbury where I acted out a role as a potential client for a class project which is the manufacture of a portable barbecue, which is to be designed by the D.T class of boys.

I was amazed of the high level of competance these lads showed and their ideas were just not for the classroom. It's been 28 years since I was at school and I found the experience rewarding and challenging, so I will be keeping you informed of events as they happen.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby _Darkstream_ » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:07 pm

I might be interested in buying one if it is up to scratch.

It would have to have side plates so you could attach one of those one D cell spit turning motors.

My old barby just gave up the ghost after about 20 years. It was a French one from Argos, and you could rotate it so the coals were vertical and could spit roast a joint from the side rather than the bottom.

Have'nt seen anything like it again in years.

_Darkstream_
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:01 pm

Update:-

I have been invited to return to the classroom for some time next week, I am led to believe there will be 20 BBQ's built 10 of those will be for sale.

I will be making the class aware of this post and I will ask them to add something of interest.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:17 am

Well I did return to the school this week , there I found that the students had really come on at a pace. I observed them using lathes to turn out the legs of the Barbecue, also folding metal and they were using heat to bend and make the handles.

A trip with the tutor took me to a company that makes animal cages , where we were able to see the different types of weldmesh available for this project.

I am hoping the students themselves will add some information to this thread along with some pictures so you can see their progress.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing